How far would you go to touch up portraits?

How far would you go on touching-up portraits?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im assuming you're just talking about beauty touch-ups yes? :)

Well i guess as long as the subject retains her look its fine. As in you dont PS the subject into someone even he/she cant recognize (e.g. hair extension.. over-liquify)

Air-brushing, healing, brightening of eyes & teeth are acceptable for me.

Also extent of touch up depends on what the photo is used for. E.g. magazines? Then porcelain skin is definitely acceptable ;p

my 1ct input. lol.

I usually soften the skin and removing some obvious blemishes. Color tweaking, dont dare to do as I am suffering minor color deficiency.:)

Some Exposure/Colour, Cropping, Horizon straightening (if needed), pimples, blackheads, maybe smooth eye bags, but that's about it.

I leave in moles and freckles and don't usually "heal" scars. But then if it was for a magazine, then I guess they expect perfection and I would have too.

I'll just soften the skin, and remove some minor blemishes. I wouldn't go to such an extend of re-shaping the obvious features.

I would to healing and play around with the contrast n colour.. it looks much more natural that way .. but that is my 2cent:)

For me it have to depend of the "model", sometime when taking photos of seniors... it is good to see some facial lines.... :)

Its common for portrait photographers to enhance the portraits they've made for models. How far would you go?

I am a bit perplexed about the question. There appeared an underlying "negativity" about touch ups.

I will go as far as it needs to create the image I am looking for within acceptable guideline. What is the guideline. It should look "NOT TOUCHED UP".

I am a bit perplexed about the question. There appeared an underlying "negativity" about touch ups.

I will go as far as it needs to create the image I am looking for within acceptable guideline. What is the guideline. It should look "NOT TOUCHED UP".

:bsmilie: There is nothing perplexed about the question, dun have to complicate your thoughts. You'll get a hint of what I'm trying to find out by examining the way i categorize the options. :)

Last edited:
:bsmilie: There is nothing perplexed about the question, dun have to complicate your thoughts. You'll get a hint of what I'm trying to find out by examining the way i categorize the options. :)

Do actually did not get what I am driving at. It really does not matter, as long as the end result of all the manipulation is what the artist/client wanted.

You go do everything necessary and all the things technically available to get that image.

Fidelity to the original image, the original subject is really not important. Unless you are tasked to record an exact likeness, then it's different.

First four usually.

It will depends on what is the purpose of the portrait. :dunno:

If it's a TFCD, then minor touch up in PS.

But if it is for production, as in gonna be used for wall murals or for catalogues, then it will be all out PS!

The skin must be flawless. No excess flab on triceps. No dark armpit lines. Or else that will be the last assignment you get from your client :bsmilie:

i'd definitely never ever touch liquify on a person's body.
nor will i remove the moles. other blemishes, yes.

because if you make them so perfect, it becomes plastic. leave some things that would still let them recognise who they are in the end! :)

i'd definitely never ever touch liquify on a person's body.
nor will i remove the moles. other blemishes, yes.

because if you make them so perfect, it becomes plastic. leave some things that would still let them recognise who they are in the end! :)

when you don't have the necessary skill or experience, you will be the one who makes a perfect complexion look plastic :confused:

we must bare in mind that when we produce a photo (especially one of a high profile model) for client, they may not necessary be using it only for viewing on monitors. They will be using it for an assortment of media from magazines to poster to wall mural.

And every little flaw from wrinkles to stray hair will be amplified when the media is large.

Till date, I have yet see a model with flawless complexion and a MU artist whose skill is so superb to produce those ads you so frequently see on magazines.

So like I mentioned earlier, it will depends on what purpose the portrait is for. If it's for photo sharing and posting in forums, by all means do it with minimal touchup. But if it is for commercial, you can't stop there and tell your client it will look plastic. You are being paid to make them looked flawless and yet without having a plastic look. :)

i use portrait pro, so yeah, but as everyone says.. "just don't overdo it". Gonna make them look like Barbie and Ken~ Lol..;p

All of us better than plastic surgeon.... lol

so far i remove pimples, blemishes and moles.
But i want to make the teeth white... how to do it huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.