how far have camera phones gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

savager

Jun 12, 2004
how far have they gone in your opinion? with reference to the average PnS consumer camera.. do you think they can produce considerable image quality nowadays? just realise some of them even using the same lens as my sony W1 ( vario tessar lens ).. then with all the functions like AF,xenon flash,manual settings etc etc.. do u think its time for camera phones to take over as "entry level cameras"?

Far enough, but no where near enough

well, if prininting 3R pics, i think it is close enough.

My N73 boast a 3.2mp camera with carl zeiss lens. The image turns out grainy and really looks like a picture taken from a webcam. Even pictures taken outdoors don't look sharp.

My N73 boast a 3.2mp camera with carl zeiss lens. The image turns out grainy and really looks like a picture taken from a webcam. Even pictures taken outdoors don't look sharp.

must be a lemon.

how far have they gone in your opinion? with reference to the average PnS consumer camera.. do you think they can produce considerable image quality nowadays? just realise some of them even using the same lens as my sony W1 ( vario tessar lens ).. then with all the functions like AF,xenon flash,manual settings etc etc.. do u think its time for camera phones to take over as "entry level cameras"?

It depends on the users' needs

If u notice, most of these phones dun have optical or features like Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority. SO to say, when it comes to creativity shooting, these hp cam might not do much into that field.

For snap shots, they serve quite well in fact. Esp the iMobile phone....kinda impressed with the quality

2 years ago, mobile phonecams were crap. Now, SE's K750i and K800i phones are pretty darn good. Good enough for 4R holiday snapshots. I think give another 2 years and phonecams could actually match regular digi-compacts

but,

only in terms of image quality (maybe). In terms of usability, accessibility of functions, etc, there'll always be a compromise, so it'll probably not replace a camera on its own. Then again, never say never. Not long ago, nobody wanted to touch one of those All-In-One scanner/printer/fax/copier set ups. Now, stand-alone scanners are starting to get a little hard to find.

the japanese had led the mobilefone industry with their phone designs and technology.

those days when phones were touting 1.0megapixel etc in sg, i already had a copy of sharp's 903sh at 3.2mp, 2x optical zoom and autofocus which i'm still using today after a couple of years.

the i-mobile 902 produces superb shots too if you've been following digidub's posts.

I'm using N95 that has 5mp with carl zeiss lens. Good for emergency or ad hoc use (you don't carry a camera around everyday wherever you go). Very slow in between take, thus no good for activity.

let me go onthe limb here. Cameras on phones are crap, junk, just another thing I rarely use. Bear in mind, it does has its usefullness, but as a replacement for our camera, not for a long while.

Advancement in camera phone has been there, but meanwhile, are the PnS taking a nap, like the hare waiting for the turtoise? Think not. Btw, it's not jsut reslution and mega pixel that gives a god picture.

Let's see what is missing on most camera phone. Focusing - most phone I believe have fix focus lens, and lets fix this one first before we talk.

My 2 years old vodafone 903sh good enough for emergency shoot :)
No wonder phone of the year 2x :D

Soon image stablization will be added to phones.
Then sensor size increased giving better noise performance.
Next we can mount external flash & add converters (wide angle/tele/macro).
Pretty soon can change lens

Let's see what is missing on most camera phone. Focusing - most phone I believe have fix focus lens, and lets fix this one first before we talk.

Many new phones have AF camera modules. Those that I know.. SE K800i, N73, O2 XDA Flame and many more.. I'm impressed with the images shot by one of the iMobile phones showcased in another thread!
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=290417

I am still not impressed. For convienence, for the reason of it's better to have a camera than not, it wins hands down. And that is about all.

I am sure at some point in time, the quality of the images will improve, if it gets to a point that can stand sid by side with a good consumer PnS, then I will be sold. Right now, it's just another thing that can break.

I am still not impressed. For convienence, for the reason of it's better to have a camera than not, it wins hands down. And that is about all.

I am sure at some point in time, the quality of the images will improve, if it gets to a point that can stand sid by side with a good consumer PnS, then I will be sold. Right now, it's just another thing that can break.

There are times when I really feel, "Dr@ts! I wish I brought my camera!"

and soon.... camera have phone function... gprs build-in
touch screen surf net... :eek:

and soon.... camera have phone function... gprs build-in
touch screen surf net... :eek:

Yeah.. There are already models with WiFi and GPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.