How effective is UD glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eosdigital

Feb 11, 2008
I notice even UD element in lens are not immune to flares..but i dont like the colour of this.
Just checking, is this example normal?

IMG_6807.jpg

(flare's bottom right)

Full size, cropped. EV +1, 17mm F/8

bump.

Use lenses hood?;p

shooting into the light's direction, got lense hood oso no use. the water must have reflected light into the lense, judging from pic.

Err ... even the worl'd most exotic and expensive lense design/elements are not immune to flare, only that the best design/optical glass and coatings can cut down or minimise.

IIRC, IF you really want superb flare control, look to the OLD, manual lenses like the T* German coated Zeiss lenses, Schnieders, Rodenstock as well as Zuikos. For example, I can almost point an old normal not premium series Zuiko or a T* coated lens directly at the sun and get minimal flare, but I can't do that with ANY of the L lenses or EF primes that I have. I'm sure that some very expensive cinematography lenses also are very resistant, but not 100% immune to flare.

One other thing I've noticed is that ultra wide angle lenses seem to be more prone to conical-point type flare as opposed to say a 50mm lense.

UD is useful.
Fluorite even better.
I have pointed a Canon 50mm L lens (FD) with lens hood on, at sea with bright sun and taken a portrait of a model. No flare.

IF you really want superb flare control, look to the OLD, manual lenses like the T* German coated Zeiss lenses, Schnieders, Rodenstock
Agree. But left out Leica which is tops.
Leica has special glass in some of their lenses without having to tell you about it or blow trumpet. That is why so expensive.
typo "Schneider"

Not so sure about Zuikos.
I like Zuiko 100mm F2 but still do not have it yet.

Last edited:
I notice even UD element in lens are not immune to flares..

UD glass has nothing to do whatsoever with flare. It merely is glass with low dispersion and gives lens designers more options to choose from.

UD is useful.
Fluorite even better.
I have pointed a Canon 50mm L lens (FD) with lens hood on, at sea with bright sun and taken a portrait of a model. No flare.

Agree. But left out Leica which is tops.
Leica has special glass in some of their lenses without having to tell you about it or blow trumpet. That is why so expensive.
typo "Schneider"

Not so sure about Zuikos.
I like Zuiko 100mm F2 but still do not have it yet.

Ahh ... Leitz optics.

Sorry I left that out as I've not had any experience with it.

UD glass has nothing to do whatsoever with flare. It merely is glass with low dispersion and gives lens designers more options to choose from.

I think true.
So use a lens hood.
Optical design and internal parts of lens barrel may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.