how dust resistant are Canon L lenses?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RudyTT

Jul 30, 2005
Melbourne
I was trying to sell a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and I met a very interesting (and persistent) buyer... He told me that there are dusts inside my lens and he's not going to buy it, and offered a ridiculous price - saying that he will still need to send it in to Canon Service Center to take out the glass.

I mean, seriously, are some of these L lenses as well protected against the weather (moisture and dust) as Canon claims them to be?

:think:

Put it this way, I have yet to see any lens without any dust in it... sure got some tiny bits :)

is Bs. I talk to canon ppl before.even for weather seal-it is better but not totally.because of e fact it rotates and focus.thus drawing dust.even prime lens are not spared.
He did mention to me though he heard cz are dust proof.but i wonder..

I think if he's looking for totally dust free lens, then he gotta buy brand new from shop.
(Whilst some brand new copies already have small small dust particles inside.)
But from what I know the small small particles does not affect picture quality at all, and they'll get into the lens once you start using it.
So what's the point of getting it clean at CSC if does not affect your images? Anyway if they open it up, more dust might get in..:bsmilie:

Rudy if u ask me, the buyer was simply trying his luck lah... haha!

He trying to pull a fast one on u.
no lens is immune from dust particle.

There are always buyers who will try to lowball the sellers upon meeting, stating whatever reasons they can think of, since they have already met up, the seller MAY try to close the deal.

Ask him if he brings all his lenses to CSC 2x per year. Really sounds ridiculous. You could ask CSC about the charges for cleaning, could give you a reasonable standing against such discussions. Even buying a brand new lens will not guarantee dust free conditions.

saying that he will still need to send it in to Canon Service Center to take out the glass.

This is silly

If you have a sharp and correctly focus lens and the dust is not shown in the pics, why take the risk to dismantle the glass and clean it?

Oh man what is the fun of photography then??

To me, I just think he is trying to pull a deal off you by throwing some stupid reasons.

Put it in a BUBBLE permanently then... confirm dust free....

the buyer is simply bullsh1ting tryin to pull your pants dwn while you are not aware of it
if he is not satisfy with the price dun buy

soooo how much you selling? since i am so frank with you ... perhaps you can lower the price a bit

the buyer is simply bullsh1ting tryin to pull your pants dwn while you are not aware of it
if he is not satisfy with the price dun buy

soooo how much you selling? since i am so frank with you ... perhaps you can lower the price a bit

hahahaha.... wah trying to pull my pants down in broad daylight now?! I'm keeping it for now. Will let you know when I'm selling.

Actually, I am thinking of selling it to buy/ trading it for a 85mm f/1.2L II. Anyone out there who has a 85L to trade with me? =)

I think if he's looking for totally dust free lens, then he gotta buy brand new from shop.
(Whilst some brand new copies already have small small dust particles inside.)
But from what I know the small small particles does not affect picture quality at all, and they'll get into the lens once you start using it.
So what's the point of getting it clean at CSC if does not affect your images? Anyway if they open it up, more dust might get in..:bsmilie:

Even brand new lenses are not totally dust free. Believe me.

Weather resistant ≠ dust proof​

Get that into your heads if you ever try to lowball any lens seller on the premise of there being "some" dust in a lens after agreeing on a price and agreeing to take it. You as a buyer have a responsibility to uphold your end of the agreement.

i don't think there is the term call dust or water or even shock proof :rolleyes: not even a new lens that just come out from the box. there are bound to be dust on the surface.

even new lenses aren't dust free.

if i were you, i will tell him to show me any lens of his that is free from dust. if he is able to produce one, with no dust AT ALL, then yes, i will agree to sell him at his ridiculous price.

haha, :bsmilie:
actually I'm also not sure if it's dust inside, thus quite hard to convince ppl it's ok.
But if buyer is not willing to buy, just too bad he/she missed out a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.