how dust resistant are Canon L lenses?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to sell a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM and I met a very interesting (and persistent) buyer... He told me that there are dusts inside my lens and he's not going to buy it, and offered a ridiculous price - saying that he will still need to send it in to Canon Service Center to take out the glass.

I mean, seriously, are some of these L lenses as well protected against the weather (moisture and dust) as Canon claims them to be?

:think:

Tell Mr Persistent Anti-Dust Man that if he can produce a good condition dust-free and devoid of foreign pasrticles, used 70-200 2.8 IS lesn, I will consider giving him $10,000.

If not, he gives me the lesn in said working condition absolutely FOC.

I'll have a look at the lesn first and then further inspection will be carried out by an independant lab. Loser pays for the lab test. :devil:

Last edited:
even new lenses aren't dust free.

if i were you, i will tell him to show me any lens of his that is free from dust. if he is able to produce one, with no dust AT ALL, then yes, i will agree to sell him at his ridiculous price.

I actually told him something similar: if he can find me a used 70-200 f/2.8 IS that is dust free, I will give him my lens (just to disclaim, that was a one-instant offer, so please don't call me to say you found one ok! hahaha...)

anyway, I think Canon's claim that (certain) L lenses are 'dust resistance' has misled many to think that these lenses are 'dust proof'.

oh well, cheers! =)

I actually told him something similar: if he can find me a used 70-200 f/2.8 IS that is dust free, I will give him my lens (just to disclaim, that was a one-instant offer, so please don't call me to say you found one ok! hahaha...)

anyway, I think Canon's claim that (certain) L lenses are 'dust resistance' has misled many to think that these lenses are 'dust proof'.

oh well, cheers! =)

Canon never claimed dust resistance to any lens. I only recall weather sealing. Dust is a part of life man...

For real? Hahaha.
Not true.Most of my lenses are dust free even if there is no weather sealing.However,dust is not really a problem when shooting especially is on the front few elements.If there is dust on the sensor, then we have a problem.

How can dust not get inside the lens, lens have rotating elements which will induce dust and it does not affect the picture quality if the dust is extremely small.
And yes i have met such people while selling some of my stuff off. They will try to pick something up and bargain despite informing them before meeting up. These people are just insincere about buying and trying their luck to make you meet up and they can leave without buying as they wouldn't lose anything.
Now i learnt my lesson, sell strictly based on my stated price and before meeting up, i will tell them price is non-negotiable, pls do not come down and bargain further. I won't bother to let them try their luck.

Tell him that there was actually no dust in the first place, he caused it by taking it out of the box for checking, now that nobody in their right mind wants to buy because of these tiny specks of dust, ask him to compensate you.

Last edited:
For real? Hahaha.

Whats the big deal?
I have also.
The kit lens. That has been residing in the dry box since day 1. ;p

Hahahahahaha... Ok seriously, dust dont affect the image so dont read to much into it.

Regards

Whats the big deal?
I have also.
The kit lens. That has been residing in the dry box since day 1. ;p

Hahahahahaha... Ok seriously, dust dont affect the image so dont read to much into it.

Regards

Interesting discussion on dust, because some are so minuscule that the eye cannot detect!!

Status
Not open for further replies.