How DoF is affected by the 3 rules


Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2005
88
0
0
Yew Tee
#1
Hi all,

I read on books and on some articles, about how apertures affects Depth of Field (DoF). The rules that I know:

1) The Focal length of lengths affect DoF
2) The distance of subject affects DoF
3) The aperture size affects DoF

Of course we can remember the rules by memorising them, but what I like to really understand how the 3 rules above applies, in a layman explanation, or even in a graphical diagram.

Can anyone enlighten or point to me any site where I can read more? Thanks!!
 

foxtwo

Senior Member
Mar 11, 2004
2,522
0
0
singapore
#2
Sun_Of_The_Beach said:
Hi all,

I read on books and on some articles, about how apertures affects Depth of Field (DoF). The rules that I know:

1) The Focal length of lengths affect DoF
2) The distance of subject affects DoF
3) The aperture size affects DoF

Of course we can remember the rules by memorising them, but what I like to really understand how the 3 rules above applies, in a layman explanation, or even in a graphical diagram.

Can anyone enlighten or point to me any site where I can read more? Thanks!!
why read when you can go out, shoot and learn at the same time? Practise practise practise
 

Sep 25, 2005
88
0
0
Yew Tee
#3
foxtwo said:
why read when you can go out, shoot and learn at the same time? Practise practise practise

In army, must learn the thoery before go for actual range mah....same here, want to understand the actual concept, so that when I shoot, can appreciate more.
 

shinken

New Member
Jun 9, 2005
1,294
0
0
41
Pasir Ris
colourdots.com
#6
Sun_Of_The_Beach said:
In army, must learn the thoery before go for actual range mah....same here, want to understand the actual concept, so that when I shoot, can appreciate more.
The difference is, when you shoot in range, you might hurt someone if you don't apply some fundamental theories. But for cameras, you won't anyone when you shoot "wrongly". And often, the best way to learn is through mistakes, and seeing the results for youself.

If you really want theoretical, yet simple explanation, check this out.
 

P

Phildate

Guest
#8
I agree - go out with your camera and test what difference these three variables make.

Choose a subject, set camera up on tripod and shoot at different apertures (I would just change by a complete stop i.e. f4, f5.6, f8, etc... each time). Then try a different focal length repeat and try at different distances to subject. In my opinion this is the only way to learn this.

Not only is distance to subject important but probably more importantly, it's the ratio of distance to subject: distance to background. If this is high (1:20) then you will get a very blurred background, even at a small aperture. If you are close to your subject but everything else is at a similar distance (e.g. shooting a wall face on) then you might not see the actual shallowness of the DOF.
 

seanlim

New Member
Oct 28, 2005
943
0
0
NEL
#10
blive said:
Try the library or the HWM Megaguide (can browse at local bookstores first) - got some good illustrations or borrow from seanlim..;)
aiyo say my name?:embrass: :cool:
 

d7t3

New Member
Oct 3, 2002
690
0
0
In the Shepherd's hands
#11
Less DOF:
Focal length - longer
Distance to subject - closer
Aperture - bigger

More DOF:
Focal length - shorter
Distance to subject - farther
Aperture - smaller
 

Jul 17, 2005
2,504
0
0
33
Clementi
#12
wah seanlim kena again. :bsmilie:

yeah. go practice la. in the end, u wont even be memorising thiose rules. it will become 2nd nature to you when you shoot :)
 

seanlim

New Member
Oct 28, 2005
943
0
0
NEL
#13
:) ...nvm lar tio kena also for gd cause
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom