How does traffic police snap speeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratix

Oct 13, 2005
Ok, this is probably the best place to ask, since it's photography related..

just curious, those speedcams along expressways, they dont emit flashes when they shoot at night, how the heck can they snap speeding vehicles?

red light cameras on the other hand flashes pretty hard both day and night thou...

Inside every speedcam there is a super high tech Nikon DSLR body that is absolutely top secret.

ISO 12800, with superb noise control.

Inside every speedcam there is a super high tech Nikon DSLR body that is absolutely top secret.

ISO 12800, with superb noise control.

shouldn't it be canon, since nikon and noise control dont go well in one sentence? :bsmilie: ;p

shouldn't it be canon, since nikon and noise control dont go well in one sentence? :bsmilie: ;p
It's a conspiracy!

Because if you knew that inside was Canon, there is another secret device that all speeding drivers have, which can easily disable anything that is Canon and photography related. So Nikon is paid to pretend that their noise control is no good. And they get to make all the speedcams in the world. Not a bad trade-off!

It's a conspiracy!

Because if you knew that inside was Canon, there is another secret device that all speeding drivers have, which can easily disable anything that is Canon and photography related. So Nikon is paid to pretend that their noise control is no good. And they get to make all the speedcams in the world. Not a bad trade-off!

:bigeyes: :bsmilie:

but seriously, i want to know la... :confused:

they dont emit flashes when they shoot at night, how the heck can they snap speeding vehicles?

I'm pretty sure those "permanent mount" speed cameras uses flash as I've seen it myself for at least a couple of times.

yup, there's flash, ive seen it a couple times too..

on top of that, maybe they use IR?

I ever visited the TP during my school days (looooong time ago). I only saw the photos from traffic light camera. The film used is big (I think should be medium or large format type) and is B&W. The resolution of the film is good and not much grain suprisingly. They actually shot the frame in quite wide angle covering almost the whole traffic junction. And yet they can blow up the number plate to read it. (In the original photo, the number plate is quite tiny.)

Flash is used... I know because I was in my friend's car when it happened. He received a $200 speeding ticket the following week. But the flash seems to be not as glaring as our photography flash. It could be IR ...:dunno:

BC

In the olden days, TPs were using 4X5 films on the cameras that's why they can blow up the images to see the car plates. But I believe that all of them have been converted to digital now and the flash system is IR. Saw one of them flash a few days back. I was travelling in the opp direction and saw a flash on the cam housing. not very strong so I guess the iso must be very high.

In the olden days, TPs were using 4X5 films on the cameras that's why they can blow up the images to see the car plates. But I believe that all of them have been converted to digital now and the flash system is IR. Saw one of them flash a few days back. I was travelling in the opp direction and saw a flash on the cam housing. not very strong so I guess the iso must be very high.
Don't need. Car plates are retroreflective. The light will be reflected back to the source. You can try to see how much flash you need not to get the car plates overexposed. ;p

Don't need. Car plates are retroreflective. The light will be reflected back to the source. You can try to see how much flash you need not to get the car plates overexposed. ;p

Hmmmm this is interesting, thanks for the info. Will try it when I have the time

( OT mode "ON" )
just thinking, if I fit a small hidden flash facing my no plate, will it overexpose my car plate when they try to capture my car plate? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

It is Simple as A B C. All vehicle come in with IU units. The just need to capture your IU ID to do the trick. No photos requires.

I think the TS is asking for those speedcameras along expressways one and not those traffic light cameras..

I ever heard a rumour before that those speed cameras along the expressways couldn't take photos at night and some of them are even decoys..but who dare to try?:bsmilie:

I think the TS is asking for those speedcameras along expressways one and not those traffic light cameras..

I ever heard a rumour before that those speed cameras along the expressways couldn't take photos at night and some of them are even decoys..but who dare to try?:bsmilie:

My friend was caught at night. The camera uses flash.

If you insist in trying....

BC

It is Simple as A B C. All vehicle come in with IU units. The just need to capture your IU ID to do the trick. No photos requires.

:nono: :nono: later they put gantry at all traffic lights..then start to charge ERP based on the number of traffic lights u passed ah..:bsmilie:

..but i think LTA engineers dun think wif their bum right..because the ERP gantry system is a very high cost stuff..:bsmilie:

if you are talking about those traffic policemen that stands on the overhead bridge with a cam.. like those at PIE near toa payoh.

i think they dont really use canon or nikon systems. its a diff kinda cam, i've seen them while walking past them

erm i think they snap a picture of cars with some kinda inbuilt program which identifies number plates. then they get the time at which they were caught on cam and when they reach another place on the expressway, there is another cam which captures all the same number plates which goes into a system and calculates the time in which the dist is covered.

this way, the numberplates caught speeding will be stored into the central computer and then a summon will be issued

this is what i think..

Status
Not open for further replies.