How does Kangrinpoche or Benro compare to ArcaSwiss, Arcatech and RRS ballheads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonized

Dec 31, 2005
PLANET EARTH
I hope those who know better can advise - it seems like a copy of the ArcaSwiss but does it perform equally as well?

I think the Kangrinpoche seems to be better make than the Benro ballheads but I would like to know if the addtional money paid for the Kangrinpoche or even the other top brands are worth the premium.

Thanks for responding.

Cheers

hi Canonized

Kangrinpoche, Arca Swiss, Markins make great ballheads. I have not tried Arcatech but seemed to have recieved great recommendations as well.

Feel the ballheads in the shop and u get instant tactile feedback separating the really good ones

Apart from built, load to weight ratio and other specifics, a good ballhead you dun even have the feeling that the head is contained in a socket. Fluid motion, Zero friction.

As to whether u really need it .. :dunno:
I just wanna buy a ballhead that lasts. No more

Ryan

AFter spendnig hours online, I found that many here as well as independent reports that Markins q10 is even more trusted than the AcraSwiss. Micro creeping is an issue and Markins seem to have that problem solved. Also the pricing is about the same if not cheaper than the Acraswiss. Apparently the faith put in by many on the Kangrinpoche seem misplaced. For some reason very little information about it on the net.

I have used the kangrinpoche for a while...so far no issue at all. No creep when I mount my 1DM3 70-200 F2.8 and flash at 45 degree. I want to adjust a bit, just lock it and it stay there. Used the benro...I will say throw in into the drain...it creep like hell even though the weight is within the stated weight limit. I tried the Arcaswiss, can't tell the diff between the Kangrinpoche, but the price is a diff, so I went for Kangrinpoche. Heaviest load I have subject the ball head to is 1DM2 + 300 F2.8 plus flash. Tilt at 45 degree no creep at all.

The Markins M10 has a very good load to weight ratio compared to other makers.
Generally the better ballheads can carry a much heavier load than what most ppl need.

The load to weight ratio comes in handy if you have a tripod that you want to minimise the amount of weight of ur ballhead in order to maximise the amount of load u can place.

* Markins can be as expensive as you want. There is a titanium edition for M10 that has much improved its specs over its cheaper cousin

Ryan

Thanks everyone for contributing.
I have decided to get a Markins and test it on my tripod which is a Giottos pro. If it is not stable enough then a large model Benro with heavier rating.

Any recommendations for alternative tripods? Thanks for reading!

Cheers

No comparison between Benro and Markins. The M10 will blow any model Benro has right now. Save the money and get a Kangrinpoche or Markins. :)

No comparison between Benro and Markins. The M10 will blow any model Benro has right now. Save the money and get a Kangrinpoche or Markins. :)

Hi Mendis

Yes, now having the Markins, the Benro just cannot deal with the heavier and longer lenses. It was OK for even up to a 85L but with the 70-200 and 100-400, it just cannot do it.

Cheers

I'm using Benro KJ-1, rated at 12kg payload from the manufacturer. Works great with my 70-200VR on D200 with flash; it doesn't creeps at all. I even tried taking shots with 2 hours interval and it just stays there. Didn't try out other brands since this fit my usage and budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.