How does it affect normal shooting with a close up filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
My lens is 70-300mm IS USM, the nearest focusing distance is 1.5m for all focal ranges.
When I put a 250D close up filter in the front to shoot things within 1.5m, how does it
affect the quality of subjects beyond 1.5m?

TIA.
:confused:

dRebelXT said:
My lens is 70-300mm IS USM, the nearest focusing distance is 1.5m for all focal ranges.
When I put a 250D close up filter in the front to shoot things within 1.5m, how does it
affect the quality of subjects beyond 1.5m?

TIA.
:confused:
Are you shortsighted? If you are, then focusing the lens to infinity would have the same effect like you see things without your spectacles.

When you put a 250D in front of your lens, you will only be able to focus up to 25cm. Anything more than 25cm away can't be focused.

Close up filters saacrifice min focus distance for DOF. So you can focus closer but your max DOF becomes very small, also there will be some pronounced barrel distortion near the edges.

raptor84 said:
Close up filters saacrifice min focus distance for DOF. So you can focus closer but your max DOF becomes very small, also there will be some pronounced barrel distortion near the edges.

Closeup lenses ("filters") work by shortening the focal length of the lens. In light of this, the depth of field of a lens + closeup "filter" should be larger than that of the bare lens when focused at the same distance.

Yeah, understood. Previously I thought the CU filter shortens nearest focus range while
not affecting maximum focus range. Now I understand that it will only allow focusing in such
a short range.

Thank you all.

what does it mean when you say "focusing the lens to infinity"?

Its the min distance form the lens where everything after that distance appears to be in focus. Useful for landscape photographers.

Status
Not open for further replies.