How does ISO affect pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the higher the ISO speed

- the more noise you get
- the more sensitive the sensor is

you only raise you iso if you need to change the (shutter) speed or depth of field (aperture)

Normally you bump up the ISO in low light situatuins when you need a faster shutter speed to freeze motion or reduce handshake blurrines.

depending on the camera i think. some camera have good noise control. so u can pump up the iso more. if not then u might have to work with lower iso. so wat level to use is subjective as well.

for my D70s, i would use 200 in bright day light and 400 when very dark. i feel at 800 already almost cannot stand liao

zcwnfx said:
for my D70s, i would use 200 in bright day light and 400 when very dark. i feel at 800 already almost cannot stand liao
but if choosing between an image which is noisy or no image at all, which would you choose? :)

peppermintkid said:
Well, I would rather not have the image if its going to be noisy cos really no point right. Having a pic but not to the quality or standard, personally.

Grainy black&white pictures gives a certain atmosphere to a pic :)

peppermintkid said:
Well, I would rather not have the image if its going to be noisy cos really no point right. Having a pic but not to the quality or standard, personally.

Not true, have you seen the classic black and white photo?

Bumping up ISO in a low light situation can help the camera to adjust to faster shutter speed which will elimiate unwanted blur photo resulting from slow shutter speed.

I rather have a noisy and sharp image rather than a blur image.

ISO setting is not there for nothing. It really helps in low light situation especially during event shooting like wedding dinner.

Also using high ISO in flash photography can save flash battery since it require less power to brighen up the subject due to high sensitve ISO.

Therefore, treat ISO as part of you creativity equation rahter then question it relevant of it. Now adays digi camera especially DSLR have a very clean image even if you bump up to ISO800.

hmmmm......

i wont want one that is too noisy lah...

if shooting still things... can try long exposure mode. on a tripod of cos.

else i would accept a bit noisy. or let it underexposure, shoot at a shutter that confirm no handshake, then go back PS the exposure.

of cos increasing too much exposure in PS will also intro much noise

noise ninja doesnt load to camera. its standalone or plug into photoshop.
the profiles are just customised settings for each camera to optimise the noise reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.