How does fungus/mould look like on the lens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majere2sg

Mar 31, 2003
Singapore (SengKang)
majere2sg.clubsnap.org
I just bought a second hand lens. I noticed there are some stains on the second element when I shine my torchlight on it. It look like something condensed water vapour when you blow on a lens surface. Is it fungus or some other stain ? I haven't seen a lens with fungus b4 and thats why I am asking.. Thanks :)

Some looks like worms while others looks like stains. They vary. I've seen both.

gooseberry said:

I don't think so.. It look alike condensed water vapour on lens (when u breathe on it) and it appeared on the middle of the second element.. does it means it just glass stain ? Thanks for the links.

my rotting tamron 28-200

lens1.jpg

lens2.jpg

Majere, it sounds like you have lens separation. Lenses are sometimes glued together to correct distortions and aberrations. The glue is transparent. However in time, it dries up in spots or on the whole lens and results in a patch that looked like 'vapour' as if have breathed on it. Depending if that particular lens assembly is on the image focal plane, you might get a hazy image.

Only way to solve it is to get that element replaced.

Mav said:
Majere, it sounds like you have lens separation. Lenses are sometimes glued together to correct distortions and aberrations. The glue is transparent. However in time, it dries up in spots or on the whole lens and results in a patch that looked like 'vapour' as if have breathed on it. Depending if that particular lens assembly is on the image focal plane, you might get a hazy image.

Only way to solve it is to get that element replaced.

:bigeyes:

So I guess the only way I will know the problem is to bring to canon service centre for a checkup... Replacing the element sound expensive.. :(

Majere, from what i gathered, replacing lens element will not be cheap. It's real unfortunate man. Do check thoroughly before getting 2nd hand lenses. (If possible, buy new ones!) Anyway, the bad stuff that can happen to lenses are i) fungus ii) worn coating iii) lens separation iv) scratches/chips/cracks v) internal dust. Look out for these at your next purchase!

Cheers! :)

I suspected most is lens fogging in the 2nd element but does anyone knows whether can it just be cleaned or must be replaced by canon ? Anyone knows how much does it cost ? Its a 70-200 f2.8 L lens..

Yo majere2sg. My heart feels your pain man. Mind you it's going to be expensive. Best bet is to get a quote from Canon first. It may not be what you think it is. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.