How does a SLR provide 'live view'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Hmmm, there are a few SLRs in the market now that offers 'live view.' Does anyone have any read-ups on how this is achieved?

TIA. :)

Thanks for the link, J-Chan.

photo0102.jpg

From the image above (from: http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/products/e330/feature/index.html), it seems that the TTL light is split into 2 - one portion to the live view CCD and the other portion of the light to the viewfinder. Wouldn't this make the viewfinder dark? Do correct me if I am wrong.

This is Olympus E-330... yes... the viewfinder is pretty small & dark... but i think the E-410 & E-510 is different already...

This depends on the shooting style. As with most P&S, The LCD viewer is almost useless under bright sunshine. Then the viewfinder would be just nice for the framing and shooting. But then in a darker situation, when the viewfinder is too dark to see anything, the Live View with it's boost, make it possible to frame a subject. It's more of how a photog uses the equipment and overcome the limitations.

S5pro and 1D mkIII also offer live view for a while. can check it out.

S5Pro comes with LiveView?? Don't think so.

1DMkIII is with LiveView..but it cost a boom to own. The Olympus E-330, E-510 and E-410 is a lot cheaper.

S5Pro comes with LiveView?? Don't think so.

1DMkIII is with LiveView..but it cost a boom to own. The Olympus E-330, E-510 and E-410 is a lot cheaper.

ok, sorry i read 'wrongly'

took from fuji webbie.

Designed with Studio Workflow in Mind

• Function Lock
• Live View function
• Remark function
• RAW+JPEG dual-save mode

Other Camera Functions

• Viewfinder with a magnification : Approx. x0.94
• 11-point AF sensor
• High-precision i-TTL flash control
• 2.5 inch LCD with approx. 230,000 pixel resolution
• Nikon F mount compatibility for all Nikkor AF-D/G and the latest AF-S optics

Wonder what they mean by "Live View Function".:dunno: Any S5Pro user here can explain?

Wonder what they mean by "Live View Function".:dunno: Any S5Pro user here can explain?

fujifilm had this before olympus E330 with the s3pro. Just using the sensor to see lor but it was limited to 30secs and very troublesome to use as it is nested in the menus.

E330 is the ONLY live view which allows AF and exposure concurrently with live view. The newer E510 and E410 only has live view B which need to flip the mirror up to AF (losing live view momentarily)

fujifilm had this before olympus E330 with the s3pro. Just using the sensor to see lor but it was limited to 30secs and very troublesome to use as it is nested in the menus.

I agree.. The S5Pro has the live view function but it is only for 30secs, so that you can adjust the composition etc. However, you are unable to change the timing, therefore, it is fixed at 30secs. At the end of 30secs, the camera automatically snaps the picture for you. You can't snap the picture at e.g. 15secs, even after you're satisfied with the composition.

Good thing is that you can choose between a colour or B&W live view.

I don't own a S5Pro, but i found this info on the Net.

The "live view" is more of a "live preview" mode. It's different from the live view provided by the Olympus series. More info in the link below:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/review/139/page_3.html

Here are the important points, as quoted from link above:

"You can only use Live View to examine the images beforehand. When in Live View, you cannot press the shutter release."

"This is only a preview, however, so it is only meant to check focus, and you can zoom in quite closely. The advantage of the live preview, which is a more appropriate name for it, is that you see the entire frame, as the viewfinder always cuts off a bit."

And here's something quoted from the S5Pro Manual:

"Continued use of live image display can cause the CCD to overheat, resulting in coarseness or noise such as white spotting in images. If this occurs, turn the camera off and wait for it to cool down before starting again."

Hope that helps. ;)

For the S5Pro, it is a function which I do not use very often. Think I have only used it once or twice. It's a good-to-have function, not a must-have. :)

Interesting...wonder why Fuji do not implement a cutoff shutter release to reduce the 30sec when required.

Status
Not open for further replies.