How does a newbie like me, achieve such clarity and definition in a photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HF Andersen

Dec 28, 2008
Hey all,

I'm sure you guys have seen the professionals here shoot and the quality is just amazing.

My concern is, I'm using a D70, with kit lens.

How can I achieve at least half of those professional looking photos that we see and awe on a day to day basis?

Any tips to share?

Especially technical terms to help me learn.

I'd appreciate any contributions.

Hear ya'll soon!

mmm could we see first some of your results so that we have an idea where you could be lacking? The possibilities where you could have gone wrong and need improvement are otherwise just endless

Hey all,

I'm sure you guys have seen the professionals here shoot and the quality is just amazing.

My concern is, I'm using a D70, with kit lens.

How can I achieve at least half of those professional looking photos that we see and awe on a day to day basis?

Any tips to share?

Especially technical terms to help me learn.

I'd appreciate any contributions.

Hear ya'll soon!

The fact that you're posting in this section means you think it's all photoshopped. This is not true. The very essentials of composition and lighting have nothing to do with photoshop. If you post 1-2 of your "weaker" shots in the respective galleries, we can give you pointers.

Hey all,

i think at iso100, and web size max 800 pixels on each side, your d70 can't be told apart from a d3. :bsmilie:

but if you want to believe that it is because of the equipment, you're always welcome to do so. :)

hahahahahha if we need a better camera than d70 to get professional results then ansel adams must have found a way to travel to the future!

i think to answer your question - How does a newbie like me, achieve such clarity and definition in a photo? - the answer is stop worrying abt ur equipment and start shooting like 1! I find looking at photographs made by top photographers help alot. You can just go NLB bras basah lvl 8 or kinokuniya to browse :)

There really are some handy tips &/or secrets that i try to live by...

1. Only show your best stuff.
That's what the pros do. And they can because other than being experienced, talented, etc., they also do #2 below? D'ya think every shot is a keeper? Hell no!

2. Shoot lots.
Even your odds by shooting lots & lots & lots. Then, only do #1 above.

3. Expose yourself.
Not in the literal sense, but look at lots n lots of photos. Online's the easiest place.

4. Be creative. Sometimes out-of-focus shots can even be nicer than in-focus shots. If you don't believe me, look online for some inspiration...then try to get nice OOF shots...harder than you might think.

As you shoot more & more, you'll develop your own style and even then, over time, your own style will evolve.

If you're a genius, then use Photoshop. I'm not a genius and for the life of me, i cannot grasp photoshop. I've found other software to be quite user friendly.

see more photos. it helps a lot.

Oh forgot one other thing. You mention you're using the kit lens. Well...I don't want to knock kit lenses cos you can still do lots with kit lenses but good glass is good glass and sometimes, there just isn't a replacement for good glass.

If lighting is poor and u get low clarity shots using kit lens, it's acceptable...but if lighting is good(broad day light + outdoors) and if you still have clarity problem(provided your setting is ok), then u have a concern....

But now, if u r able to show sm example pics, then maybe can open more doors for further discussion?:)

Last edited:
Shoot more and learn from experience... and advice from others ;)

somehow i think recent kit lens are really fantastic...

i did borrow L lens before... err... there is one photo which i thought is taken by the L lens, but end up it is my very powerful 18-55 kit lens... haha..

but of course maybe you can say that i don't know how to check for the difference in image quality...

I don't know what u r trying to refer something like this...
phoca_thumb_l_Birds_2010-01-02_017.JPG

Last edited:
I'm starting to get a bit irritated by the phrase about the guy behind the camera and not the camera. Then why still get a dslr when you can make do with a T610?

I'm starting to get a bit irritated by the phrase about the guy behind the camera and not the camera. Then why still get a dslr when you can make do with a T610?

We are talking about minimum equipment. But yes, give a photographer with an eye for composition and an understanding of lighting a T610, and give a T610 to a newbie, and you'll see a HUGE difference.

We are talking about minimum equipment. But yes, give a photographer with an eye for composition and an understanding of lighting a T610, and give a T610 to a newbie, and you'll see a HUGE difference.

The thing I am trying to say is that people are typing in CS forums as if the equipment are not of a matter as long as skill is there. From my POV, everything plays a part, the camera, the lens, the shooter, the external equipments. It is correct to say that people still can take good photos with minimum equipment, but with limitation. So please stop saying that it is the person behind the camera. It is like shooting firework without a stable tripod.

Thought we still can blame the person behind the camera for not getting a tripod:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.