How does 90mm Macro lens differ from non-macro 90mm

khongovic

Jan 4, 2010
Boon Keng
Hi

Jusr wish to find out what differences are there between a 90mm macro lens and a non-macro one in terms of taking macro shots of insects, flowers etc?

From the specs of both lens their minimum focusing distance seem to be the same at around 29 or 30cm. The macro lens can't AF if it is less than this distance. Doesn't it become the same as a non-macro lens?

the macro lens will be able to give you the 1:1 ratio.
the non-macro wont be able to do that.

in other words, it just means that on the macro lens, the object will seem to appear bigger (not sure of this is the right way to describe it, but that's wad you'll get).

Hi

Jusr wish to find out what differences are there between a 90mm macro lens and a non-macro one in terms of taking macro shots of insects, flowers etc?

From the specs of both lens their minimum focusing distance seem to be the same at around 29 or 30cm. The macro lens can't AF if it is less than this distance. Doesn't it become the same as a non-macro lens?

quickest way to know is to get 2 lenses one macro one not and shoot:dunno:

personally i'm not sure too. but there is always google.

Hi

Neither lens will be able to AF if its less than their minimum focusing distance. In fact neither will be able to focus.

The macro will give a larger magnification at the MFD compared to the non macro, usually a 1:1 magnification at MFD ... The non macro , well you have to look at the specs and see what is its max magnification at the MFD ;p

Anyways .... is there a 90mm lens non macro that focuses at 30cm ?? ;)

Cheers !! happy shooting !!

From the specs of both lens their minimum focusing distance seem to be the same at around 29 or 30cm.

Are you very very sure that the non-macro 90mm will focus at "29cm or 30cm"? :dunno:

maybe u'd like to share with us which 2 lenses r u talking about?

jude

maybe u'd like to share with us which 2 lenses r u talking about?

jude

Sorry guys. I know a 90mm non-macro lens does not exist. Just using 'it' hypothetically as a comparison to macro lens. Now i know macro lens' main feature is their 1:1 magnification at minimum focusing distance.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Sorry guys. I know a 90mm non-macro lens does not exist. Just using 'it' hypothetically as a comparison to macro lens. Now i know macro lens' main feature is their 1:1 magnification at minimum focusing distance.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Not ALL macro lenses are capable of 1:1 magnification.

However, the MFD of the macro lenses are shorter than non-macro counterparts of the same focal length.

And, there are 90mm non-macro lenses around.

And, there are 90mm non-macro lenses around.

Yep, one example I can think of off-hand is the 90mm f/2.5 Summarit-M for Leica M rangefinders.

Not ALL macro lenses are capable of 1:1 magnification.

Yeah, the Zeiss 100/2 Makro is only capable of 1:2.