How do you value your 2nd hand lens?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
Got some rather funny pm when I tried to sell off my stuffs a while ago.

His agruement is : "2nd hand shop are selling at $XXX so you must sell lower than them"

However, the last time I neg with a seller and his arguement is "Normally shop dun take care of the product as well as me. Therefore, my lens should sell at or above price in the shop"

Which arguement do you belive in? :)

I think a reasonable price is any price above the amount that a 2nd hand shop is willing to take in and below current market price new, depending on the condition.

2nd hand shop take in price< reasonable price <current new price

The selling price of 2nd hand shops are indeed generally higher than individual sellers as they have to make a profit on the item taken in. If the price one offers is lower than that of a 2ndhand shop take in price, then there is no reason to go thru the hassle of selling to an individual.

However, the 2nd argument is rather weak as price estimates have to be made on the assumption that the condition is similar, else there is no basis for comparison when so many variables are altered.

Hiee..

As per my knowledge.....2nd Hand Shop would offer 1/2 the price tag thet they would out after they get from you.....

And since they have many inventory to look after....generally they may not be able to see or check each and everyone...

So ...there is always a risk involve...

Regards,
me

I think a reasonable price is any price that I am happy with and think is reasonable for that item in that condition.

Originally posted by sulhan
Hiee..

As per my knowledge.....2nd Hand Shop would offer 1/2 the price tag thet they would out after they get from you.....

And since they have many inventory to look after....generally they may not be able to see or check each and everyone...

So ...there is always a risk involve...

Regards,
me

I have not tried trading in any lens to shop. 1/2 price seem very low.

Always think that they will earn abt 20% of the listed price.

Originally posted by Silverelf
I think a reasonable price is any price that I am happy with and think is reasonable for that item in that condition.

quite true leh... for those stuff that I am keen on...
if casual buying then I would haggle more... for the fun of it LOL

so what if "so n so shop is sellin at so n so price"?

judge according to the lens condition itself.

Originally posted by binbeto

However, the last time I neg with a seller and his arguement is "Normally shop dun take care of the product as well as me. Therefore, my lens should sell at or above price in the shop"

Which arguement do you belive in? :)

The above statement is dumb!

even if his 2nd hand product is in MINT or NEVER been opened condition, it will never fetch ABOVE the retail price in a store since it will never have the same warranty period as a brand-new product. or the assurance that if the product has a scratch or defect, he will give you a 1-to-1 exchange, a shop can do that but I don't think if you go back to the seller 1-2 days later abt a scratch mark on the lens, he will exchange one for you or refund the money.

The only possible way a 2nd hand item costs more than brand new is that the 2nd hand item is out of production or of a better make than the new one.

For example, a 2nd hand MINT 50mm/1.8 Made in Japan, may fetch a higher price than a BRAND NEW 50mm/1.8 Made in China, IF the buyer prefers Made-in-Japan Lens and is willing to forgo the warranty and get 2nd hand if he cannot find a 50mm/1.8 made in japan in the shops.

Originally posted by newuser
The above statement is dumb!

even if his 2nd hand product is in MINT or NEVER been opened condition, it will never fetch ABOVE the retail price in a store since it will never have the same warranty period as a brand-new product. or the assurance that if the product has a scratch or defect, he will give you a 1-to-1 exchange, a shop can do that but I don't think if you go back to the seller 1-2 days later abt a scratch mark on the lens, he will exchange one for you or refund the money.

The only possible way a 2nd hand item costs more than brand new is that the 2nd hand item is out of production or of a better make than the new one.

For example, a 2nd hand MINT 50mm/1.8 Made in Japan, may fetch a higher price than a BRAND NEW 50mm/1.8 Made in China, IF the buyer prefers Made-in-Japan Lens and is willing to forgo the warranty and get 2nd hand if he cannot find a 50mm/1.8 made in japan in the shops.

I think you got it all wrong.. Price at shop refer to price at "2nd hand" shop.

Oops. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.