How do you travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotojoy

Mar 10, 2005
Singapore, NE
Hi people.... Do u bring ur BIG camera bags and tripod with u when u go on a trip?

If so, how do u handle them? Do u check them in ?

Wouldn't it be troublesome?

When i think i ll use a tripod i take it, i ll then pack it in a suitcase and pack all my clothes around it. Way less hassle than carrying it. Camera gear will always come on the plane with me in my camera backback.

I like to travel light, so I got myself a tripod with head detached that will just fit into my carry-on luggage, and carry aboard as well my camera backpack (on which I can strap my tripod at destination) with all the photo stuff... you never know when a tripod might come in handy :)

i used SR D400AW. tripod check in. cos i travel with family, i can afford to take a slingbag exclusively for camera. when i go overseas alone, i buy a bagpack for it so to put other stuff in it. btw, dun check in your camera, you are not doing some ISO standard shock test for your equipment.

Headache now 'cos airline only allows 1 hand carry luggage and my small checkin luggage wont be able to fit in my tripod with all those barang barang i m bringing.

Yahhh i definitely wont leave my gears to those "shock proof" tests :p

If its a long holiday, I'll bring everything along... even the tripod.. Tripod's checked in though.. so carry on will be laptop bag, and camera bag.. 2 bags of heavy stuff.. groans.

i normally travel with a micro trekker 200 holding 1 body and 4 lens, which i hand carried.
i never had any problems with customs before.

there was once i 'hand carried' a protrekker with a manfrotto 455 tripod strapped behind. no problems. and that was in australia, where the customs are super siao on.

Headache now 'cos airline only allows 1 hand carry luggage and my small checkin luggage wont be able to fit in my tripod with all those barang barang i m bringing.

Yahhh i definitely wont leave my gears to those "shock proof" tests :p

but camera and laptop bags are not counted into the "one baggage" rule.

2 Camera Bags - 1 Sling 1 backpack with laptop. :sweat:

Just came back from Japan not long, brought my camera gear in my Crumpler 7million as carry on. Tripod in check in luggage bag.

It is rather vague since IATA's stance is that it varies according to airline blah blah blah.

cutecdo: If I don't remember wrongly... what those signs tell you is that you should not pack valuables like... (photography equipment and laptops) into your check-in.

I haven't really pushed the limit by carrying more than 2 carry ons... I wonder what they would do if I have like 4 bags worth of photography equipment. (i'm not talking about pelican cases here... say just 4x SR400). I can sling 2 and hand carry 2...

I know some airlines and airports are a real pain with regards to cabin luggage.

It is rather vague since IATA's stance is that it varies according to airline blah blah blah.

cutecdo: If I don't remember wrongly... what those signs tell you is that you should not pack valuables like... (photography equipment and laptops) into your check-in.

I haven't really pushed the limit by carrying more than 2 carry ons... I wonder what they would do if I have like 4 bags worth of photography equipment. (i'm not talking about pelican cases here... say just 4x SR400). I can sling 2 and hand carry 2...

I know some airlines and airports are a real pain with regards to cabin luggage.

just came back and was carrying my gear in a sling camera bag and rolling a trolley haversack.

Is there an option to pay to be able to hand-carry onboard more baggage (quantity, weight, volume) than that is normally allowed?
Some things you can't check in (too sensitive, or deemed 'dangerous' like Li-ions), but you need to bring a lot of (eg. for commercial shoot) to the destination so what other choices are we presented with?

Is there an option to pay to be able to hand-carry onboard more baggage (quantity, weight, volume) than that is normally allowed?
Some things you can't check in (too sensitive, or deemed 'dangerous' like Li-ions), but you need to bring a lot of (eg. for commercial shoot) to the destination so what other choices are we presented with?
rent from location... like battery packs for strobes, and the strobes themselves as well as other stuff like stands, backgrounds, etc... just bring camera body, lenses and computer...

I recently went to Australia for a family holiday. Was pretty afraid of the one piece of hand-carry luggage regulation, so I had to dump my laptop in my brother's backpack and carry a small camera bag/beltpack.

I didn't bring a tripod for the trip (because I don't have one. Wouldn't have brought one even if I did), but I suggest not bringing it if you can help it.

Regarding this, you can explain to the people at the airline counter that you are a working photographer and you need such-and-such equipment to complete the job. Normally, a working photographer will hand-carry everything that he needs to get by completing the job, and the not so critical pieces of equipment will then go into the check in luggage.

There are a couple of interesting articles for you to read:

http://thinktankphoto.com/airport/

Just fill up a simple three-field form on this page and download the PDFs. Trust me, they're very helpful for the travelling photographer, especially the travelling professional photographer.

rent from location... like battery packs for strobes, and the strobes themselves as well as other stuff like stands, backgrounds, etc... just bring camera body, lenses and computer...

That would be easy to do if you're traveling to certain places.... but almost next to impossible in others.

Developed countries, yes. But backwater, 3rd-world countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.