How do you transport your equipments for a corporate job?

theanalogy

Dec 1, 2012
Singapore
Hi, I just want to know from the semi-pros/pros what transportation you usually use when doing jobs that require heavy duty gears, studio strobe etc..

I mean other than buying a car, do you use the Taxis or is there any way to lug your over size equipments onto the MRT trains? Any tips please? I just changed from strobist setup to studio lights so just want to know what are your solutions, cause COE is sky high now, not every can afford a car.

theanalogy said:
Hi, I just want to know from the semi-pros/pros what transportation you usually use when doing jobs that require heavy duty gears, studio strobe etc..

I mean other than buying a car, do you use the Taxis or is there any way to lug your over size equipments onto the MRT trains? Any tips please? I just changed from strobist setup to studio lights so just want to know what are your solutions, cause COE is sky high now, not every can afford a car.

I thought these days the good pros shoot mirror less with pop up flash?

there are limitation of what you can transport with MRT trains,
just book a cab and factor that into your cost.

if you have lots of location shoots, than buy a goods vehicle.

Last edited:
alot of gear than car for sure.

rent a car? i know reasonable dealers like ban hong lee that deal sometimes $50-$60/day depending on which car you want.

i do more video so i'll usually just get a 10-ft lorry. more stable and nicer to driver than a van at the same price.

The other part of the story is to make sure you pack your stuff well, so you can move them easily. A good roller case for lighting really helps.

If you are in this for business, you can consider a light goods vehicle. Such vehicles with renewed COE costs less than S$30,000. So good deals can be yours for $5,000.

Consider the length of a 9 foot rollup paper backdrop.

rent a car? i know reasonable dealers like ban hong lee that deal sometimes $50-$60/day depending on which car you want.

i do more video so i'll usually just get a 10-ft lorry. more stable and nicer to driver than a van at the same price.

i am just curious how to defend against inclement weather and guard against theft . maybe must get a covered and cage lorry ?

those 1600cc good vans are preferable, you can transport 9 feet background paper without worry of raining.

and you can leave your gears in the van and go for lunch or some short errand, but you can't do that with a pick up truck.

remember to conceal your gears when you need to leave your vehicle unattended.

and also need to consider the height of vehicle, you won't able to use muiti-story car park if your vehicle above height limit.

Roller case lor. Not the expensive ones. Recent years there are lots of roller case around. Usually used for studio strobes.

Fits into taxi boot.

Considering nut-n-bolt screwing pelican cases to the base of your van carriage section at a corner near the door, use those pelican cases which enable you to also padlock on both sides. The height of the pelican doubles as a laptop table in the van for on location shoots when you have the review images. The van itself shuts off the bright daylight and enable good laptop viewing.

On your van you can also hang your jackets and change of clothes to meet clients or transit from a day of sweaty factory industrial report shoot to the evening's black tie gala dinner shoot.

Outside your van you can print and decal your advertising like a property agent does.

nowadays i see photographer. especially the younger ones.. not sure they shoot for money or not. Full time or part time. But i see afew of them take Taxi around. :cool:

and also need to consider the height of vehicle, you won't able to use muiti-story car park if your vehicle above height limit.

avoid the new Toyota Hi-Aces (a bit high), I think the Mercedes Vito is nice and big but height-wise it barely makes below 1.8 meters...