How do you store your photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptyap

Apr 10, 2007
Chapel Hill, US
www.flickr.com
My photos are eating my harddisk space FAST! I wonder how you guys backup and store your photos? Using DVDs? Buying some extra harddisks? Or maybe some other options? Please share. Thanks! :)

i backup my photos on DVDs or CDRs. normally hv a separate folder for each overseas trip or theme.

second HDD
and back up to DVD or CD.

I have totally no backups and my HD is a time bomb, waiting to detonate. LOL. :bigeyes:

Extra hard disks would be great.

160GB external HDD
plus my laptop has 2 harddisks (but only 40GB each) so i try to store pics in both (all 3 rather)

external hard disk, too lazy and time consuming to burn DVD and rot.

My photos are eating my harddisk space FAST! I wonder how you guys backup and store your photos? Using DVDs? Buying some extra harddisks? Or maybe some other options? Please share. Thanks! :)
i practise massive deletion policy

every now and then i just go back to my photos

and delete whatever i think no longer appeals to me =)

How i wish I got 2 of the Seagate ES 250GB (I think SLS have them at only $129 ;p) under raid setup.

I store them in my external HDD. :)

Backup a copy in external harddisk after transferring out from CF and burn to DVD every few months (lazy).

The photo are stored in folders label according to the date taken and I'll also include a README.TXT which describle the location / purpose of the photos (for backup copy only).

External HDD.

1 for your RAW files.
1 for my aperture library.
1 for my aperture vault (backup).
1 for PSD version after retouching/PP. PSD format instead of TIF because it retains the layers so you can always go back to edit if necessary.

Exported files (jpgs) are stored in CD/DVD.

External HDD.

1 for your RAW files.
1 for my aperture library.
1 for my aperture vault (backup).
1 for PSD version after retouching/PP. PSD format instead of TIF because it retains the layers so you can always go back to edit if necessary.

Exported files (jpgs) are stored in CD/DVD.

Wow! You r very organized. Just curious, what is aperture library?

My computer has two 500GB HDDs. One HDD is used for backup only, I just do a full disc backup of the first HDD to the second one. This is done on weekly basis. I also keep backup copies of the photos on an external USB HDD. Last but not least I keep backup DVD copies of the photos and of my bussines/personal files in a Cisco safe deposit box. So I guess my photos are well enough protected :)

My computer has two 500GB HDDs. One HDD is used for backup only, I just do a full disc backup of the first HDD to the second one. This is done on weekly basis. I also keep backup copies of the photos on an external USB HDD. Last but not least I keep backup DVD copies of the photos and of my bussines/personal files in a Cisco safe deposit box. So I guess my photos I well enough protected :)

Wow! Well protected indeed! :thumbsup:

Wow! You r very organized. Just curious, what is aperture library?

Aperture library is a folder create by the program aperture. What it does is that when you download a RAW file into your computer via aperture, (which you can sort, rename, organize within the program), the physical RAW files are stored in the "library". When you edit your the RAW file with aperture, instead of physically altering the file, aperture writes a set of instructions and store them in folders along with your RAW inside the library. This means that it is "non-damaging" in nature and at anytime it can be returned to its "default" settings.

However, if you need to look for the physicaly RAW in the folder, it can be a pain in the ass, which is why I have a separate HDD just to store the RAW as is. The program also allows you to create backups of what you have done with the files, and it is known as the "vault", so by "syncing" the program, you are effectively duplicating an identity library in another HDD which is by default "read only" This way, if anything happens to your original work library, you have a "vault" to fall back to, and if that fails, simply assess the RAW HDD to redownload into aperture.

Status
Not open for further replies.