How do you store your DSLR when travelling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ombre

Sep 3, 2008
Hi guys,

Suppose if you're travelling for more than 2 weeks. How do you store your DSLR and lenses at a proper humidity to protect against fungus?

Thanks for the help!

just make sure you clean your camera end of everyday . . . :)

2 weeks should be fine, as you are shooting everyday. Don't really bother and worry over it. Just enjoy your trip and shot. Don't forget to post when you are back to share.

If you are very worry, then put into a ziplock bag with silicon gel. :)

If you are using the camera frequently, just keep in your camera bag will do. Active usage deters fungus growth.

just make sure you clean your camera end of everyday . . . :)

2 weeks should be fine, as you are shooting everyday. Don't really bother and worry over it. Just enjoy your trip and shot. Don't forget to post when you are back to share.

If you are very worry, then put into a ziplock bag with silicon gel. :)

In Perth, the humidity is only 28%. Why you need silicon gel and ziplock bag? :bsmilie: In fact nobody sells dry cabinet there. :cool:

No i just keep it clean and moist free.

Ryan

Hi guys, thanks for the opinions.

I guess 2 weeks is still fine, but what about 2 months?

Active use deters fungus? I understand that UV light from the sun deters fungus. But what if I'm in wet weather conditions?

just came back from India for 2 weeks....from sea side to highlands

i just dumped my 4 lens, 12-24, 24-105, 200L and 35L into individual padded pouches and lugged them around my big boring backpack..no one gave me a 2nd look unless i take out my body..

imo camera bags are too obvious..sore thumbs..

and my neck / shoulders still hurting..:bsmilie:

it will be fine lah..worry more abt getting nicer photos.

Hi guys, thanks for the opinions.

I guess 2 weeks is still fine, but what about 2 months?

Active use deters fungus? I understand that UV light from the sun deters fungus. But what if I'm in wet weather conditions?

for 2 months? :bigeyes: then i guess if u are not going to use the camera everyday, get those small drybox and pack it with silica gel if u are worried.

if u are staying at an airconditioned hotel room, don't have to worry.

in any case, if it's for 2 weeks, i don't think there is a serious risk of fungus etc. unless u are trekking in a rain forest.

Where are you going or intend to go?

Where are you going or intend to go?

Might intend to go Paris, Africa, Turkey? Probably in that order.

In Perth, the humidity is only 28%. Why you need silicon gel and ziplock bag? :bsmilie: In fact nobody sells dry cabinet there. :cool:
When I was in Las Vegas, Nevada during the summer the Relative Humidity (RH) averages around 10+% and yet I do not see people selling "wet cabinet" with humidifier to store their camera equipments in. :bsmilie:

Besides a dry cabinet at home, I have a portable dry box which I carry around during travels. Suppose you travel for 2 weeks or 2 months, I'd assume you'll be bringing a fairly large luggage? Just put the dry box inside and stuff it with smaller items like socks, perfumes and what-have-yous. That way it's not gonna take up space. You'll see this dry box at almost any camera shops in Peninsula Plaza. $25, if I remember correctly. A bottle of silica gel costs around $3.50, the cheapest I know of if you happen to pass by Compass Point Mall.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Might intend to go Paris, Africa, Turkey? Probably in that order.

Fungus can be a problem only if the equipment is stored (not used) for an extended period of time in dark, hot & humid conditions.

For where you are going & what you will be doing, don't worry about it. Nothing is going to happen to your cam. Just enjoy and take lots of photos :)

On the other hand, theft is more a real concern. This you will need to take precaution......

Q: How do you store your DSLR when travelling?

A: By forcing it into the hotel safe with my bottles of cough syrup and insect repellant.

Yep, I abuse my gear like there's no tomorrow.

When I was in US for 3 months, I put my camera and lens in a big ziplock bag (those used to packing clothes) and put a small pouch (supposedly used for washing machine) of silica gel inside. I just change my silica gel when they turn pinkish.

Not sure if it is best, but takes up less space than dry box.

Look like i better get myself prepared too. Tks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.