How do you store your camera with safe humidity when travelling?

Fellowlad

Jul 31, 2015
Singapore west coast
It's not like we can bring our dry boxes with us on our travels. So what solutions has anyone used?

Most of the time I just throw my camera into my backpack. My trips don't last any longer than 3 weeks and I don't go snooping around in extremely humid environments so keeping my equipment within "safe" humidity (say, 50%) isn't that much of an issue for me. Plus if you are out shooting almost everyday there shouldn't be too much of an issue. Stuff like haze, fungus or mold only grow if you leave your equipment unused in a dark and (relatively) humid place.

That being said, if you do happen to go on a trip of epic proportions and is planning to bring around a whole trunk load of equipment, do consider airtight equipment cases by Pelican or Nanuk. They are very sturdy and you can pour silica gel (or just put a few large packets) in the bottom of the case before putting in your foam. Pop in a hygrometer (you can even use the daiso ones if you want) to get a rough estimate of the humidity and change out the gel if necessary. Plus the cases are good to sit on while waiting at the airport.

If you don't want to use silica gel in packets or bottles you can get a rechargeable silica gel pack. One of my friends uses it to keep his equipment dry because he doesn't have a dry cabinet. I don't recommend it because it seems like a fire hazard to me particularly because the thing heats up to heat up the silica gel to dry the gel. Worth a shot if you absolutely must. (It's the white card like thing if you scroll down abit on this product page)

Reactions: Fellowlad
The difference is between 'traveling' and 'storage when not in use'. The former one maybe 2-3 weeks, the latter one more than 3 months sometimes.
Fungus does not grow over night, and not all areas where you travel have the same humidity as in Singapore. Conclusion: no further protection is required.
Put the camera and lenses in your favorite camera bag, go and shoot. Stop worrying, enjoy the travels.
There are other things worth worrying about, but not a piece of consumer electronics.

Reactions: Fellowlad
Thanks for your helpful replies. It seems that a rough limit to worry about would be 3 plus weeks stored (untouched and not taken out of storage) in Singapore-level humidity in dark poorly-ventilated environment. Typical vacation scenarios fall within this safe zone, and it's only those few exceptions like those described by pwnies5600 which require silica gel packets and airtight hard cases. So I guess knowing the limit and proper planning is key.

I doubt photo-journalists ever put their gears in dry cabs at the end of the work days in Singpore... maybe only when they go on long vacation leave.
Probably leave the gears in their bags so that the next they can just grab and run for the assignments

Also depends where you travel

Most people in europe never heard of dry cabinet

depends on how warm and humid your travel destination is and how long you will keep your camera in a dark cabinet without sunlight exposure

Reactions: ziggy
i travel with 100 packs of Thirsty Hippo.

if you can't afford Thirsty Hippo, you can always try NTUC brands :)