How do you store your big lenses?

How do you store your biggies lenses?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE clicks clicks

Dec 5, 2005
Hi guys, doesn't know if this has been asked before. But anyway I curious how fellow CSers store their lenses in their dry cab?
I believe that most of us would keep our small lenses( eg : 18-55, 28-105, 85mm etc) in the vertically standing position, but what about those biggies (eg: 70-200mmf2.8, 300mm f4L IS)?
Do you put them in the vertically standing up, lying on their side,or horizontally with support???

Mind sharing how and why you prefer the way you keep them? what advantages are there?

I dunno if anyone got a cavernous drycab to store a big long lens vertically. So, left with the horizontal position. ;)

For us, if we sleep on an uneven bed, we get backaches and so forth. For a lens, does it need to have a "bed" in the form of some nicely shaped foam? :embrass:

Materials are subjected to a phenomenon called creep - deformation under sustained load or just due to it's own weight over its useful life. But with the kind of material lenses are made of like Mg alloy, Alu alloy, polycarbonate, glass, etc, it would take more than 100 years to be able to measure any deformation and anything that affects the performance.

Dun worry, if you don't touch your lens for 10 years, it will still be straight and not look like a banana. :bigeyes:

I lay them on their side. However, I made custom form pad to the contour of the Lens to prevent rolling and for better storage space management of my Dri cabi.

OT a bit, do you guys ever accidentally close the door while the tray is still out? I made the mistake once and now got a tiny scratch on the glass door. Now I stice a form pad on the corner of the tray to prevent re-occurance. Luckly it didnt break.

smallaperture said:
I dunno if anyone got a cavernous drycab to store a big long lens vertically. So, left with the horizontal position. ;)

For us, if we sleep on an uneven bed, we get backaches and so forth. For a lens, does it need to have a "bed" in the form of some nicely shaped foam? :embrass:

Materials are subjected to a phenomenon called creep - deformation under sustained load or just due to it's own weight over its useful life. But with the kind of material lenses are made of like Mg alloy, Alu alloy, polycarbonate, glass, etc, it would take more than 100 years to be able to measure any deformation and anything that affects the performance.

Dun worry, if you don't touch your lens for 10 years, it will still be straight and not look like a banana. :bigeyes:

Thinking about it , maybe the dry cab manufacturer can make some narrow but tall cab to accomodate those with long lens.
With the amount of money we are spending on lenses it better last a 100yaers like you've said. Haha,:sweatsm: I love your last sentence... Then we will have a new type of lens call Banana lens.

DeSwitch said:
I lay them on their side. However, I made custom form pad to the contour of the Lens to prevent rolling and for better storage space management of my Dri cabi.

OT a bit, do you guys ever accidentally close the door while the tray is still out? I made the mistake once and now got a tiny scratch on the glass door. Now I stice a form pad on the corner of the tray to prevent re-occurance. Luckly it didnt break.

Thanks for the input, you actually make a bed for them.:thumbsup:
what do you make them with ? styrofoam or sponge?? Don't tell me you are using the type of material found in those expensive ($200- $300) pillow from Sweden! :bigeyes: (can't remember the brand).

Not a chance of me closing the dry cab door with the tray full of lenses and camera on it.
I make sure everything is in before closing the door.

waileong said:
Store away from wife....

Ha Ha.. that funny:D
You mean if your wife find out about those biggies, not even the dry cab will be able to protect them from turning to scrap:sweat:

NE clicks clicks said:
Thanks for the input, you actually make a bed for them.:thumbsup:
what do you make them with ? styrofoam or sponge?? Don't tell me you are using the type of material found in those expensive ($200- $300) pillow from Sweden! :bigeyes: (can't remember the brand).

Not a chance of me closing the dry cab door with the tray full of lenses and camera on it.
I make sure everything is in before closing the door.

Nah, nothing expensive, free in fact. Just the white foam that came with the digi cabi. Its not the normal styrofoam.

I dont have one! :cry: always in the case and brought around. for a evening walk to prevent fungus :D

All big lenses on their side.... Dri-Cab not that spacious......yet.:bsmilie:

DeSwitch said:
Nah, nothing expensive, free in fact. Just the white foam that came with the digi cabi. Its not the normal styrofoam.[/QUOT

Oh no! didn't realise that those foam are useful, threw them all way liao after taking the dry cab out. Should have pick up the tips from you earlier.:(

NE clicks clicks said:
Hi guys, doesn't know if this has been asked before. But anyway I curious how fellow CSers store their lenses in their dry cab?
I believe that most of us would keep our small lenses( eg : 18-55, 28-105, 85mm etc) in the vertically standing position, but what about those biggies (eg: 70-200mmf2.8, 300mm f4L IS)?
Do you put them in the vertically standing up, lying on their side,or horizontally with support???

Mind sharing how and why you prefer the way you keep them? what advantages are there?

If you're expecting an answer like:

Oh No. You should never store your lenses horizontally :eek: The lens will eventually bend in the middle or the elements might get thicker at the bottom.

No such luck. Common sense my friend. It doesn't make a diff. I know you think there's something others might know that perhaps you don't, but no such luck here.

Lenses are not wine bottles. No need to keep the cork damp.:bsmilie:

DeSwitch said:
Thanks for the tip.

Why I never think about it. I always want to put form pad on my table next to my dry cab to prevent the front door acrylic scratch by the table, but I never think about inside drycab :) .

Regards,
Arto.

70-200 2.8 and 300f/4 not big lenses anyway.

whats big lenses are the 300 f/2.8, 400 f/2.8. 500 and 600 f/4s. these are the big ones... maybe those who own it would like to share on how they store it since i dun think theres a dry cabinet big enuff to accomodate them ? :dunno:

Started to put all my lenses vertical, on the lens caps

I put them all over the place, on the shelves, in the camera bags and on the floor. No dry cabinet but I have a dry room.

The only way I would have a big lens is if I glued all of small ones together :bsmilie:

I would have a Canickoly lens :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.