How do you store & take care your equipments on a holiday trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelvinDestiny

May 13, 2008
East
Hi as above, trying to find out how do you store your equipments? ie bring a dry box over, kept in the drawer with silica gel etc...

u can either bring a portable dry box... or keep in the safe box in the hotel.

Is there anything in particular to bring to protect your equipments if your headed to cold countries/places eg swiss alps?

something to warm the batteries, if bringing out? I guess cold weather only affects the battery significant from my experience. Though AF might be slower in cold weather, it is not so serious.

Is there anything in particular to bring to protect your equipments if your headed to cold countries/places eg swiss alps?

Hi thanks for pointing out i almost left out :)

If in a cold country other than warm the batt, how about the body and the lens any special care to be take note of?

I will be heading to aus somewhere beside brisbane this nov for a 2 weeks trip and im not sure about the humidity and the weather over there =/

Last edited:
I will be heading to aus somewhere beside brisbane this nov for a 2 weeks trip and im not sure about the humidity and the weather over there =/

2 weeks trip nia....no need to worry abt fungus or what lah....and dun bother with throwing few packet of silica gel in your bag...cos its useless in open air....it will only serve its purpose in an enclose/air tight box....

and nov in aust is summer time...so no worries for batt also....

u think too much liao....

a thinker for everyone, if u think the equipment expose few weeks in open air will have fungus grow....than I want to ask, how long do u think will take for the camera after production to reach the shop shelves ?..the ans is at least 2-3weeks. it may stay in the shop for more than 1 week also...

dun over kia su lah....relax, if the equipment ganna water..rem to wipe it can liao...other thing dun worry

unless talking months, than must really take care liao.

Hi thanks for pointing out i almost left out :)

If in a cold country other than warm the batt, how about the body and the lens any special care to be take note of?

To warm the battery, it can be as simple as putting them in your pockets for a while.

For the lens and body, might have condensation when moving from indoors to outdoors and vice versa. Just wipe off, no need anything fancy.

Last edited:
I brought my canon to the swiss alps for 3 weeks, even up to the highest peak in europe @ -3 degrees, it still functions as per normal, didnt even affect the battery.

Didnt have a special place to keep it, just left it in the open when im back to my accomodation, no moisture seep in, no fungus, no damage.:cool:

2 weeks trip nia....no need to worry abt fungus or what lah....and dun bother with throwing few packet of silica gel in your bag...cos its useless in open air....it will only serve its purpose in an enclose/air tight box....

and nov in aust is summer time...so no worries for batt also....

u think too much liao....

a thinker for everyone, if u think the equipment expose few weeks in open air will have fungus grow....than I want to ask, how long do u think will take for the camera after production to reach the shop shelves ?..the ans is at least 2-3weeks. it may stay in the shop for more than 1 week also...

dun over kia su lah....relax, if the equipment ganna water..rem to wipe it can liao...other thing dun worry

unless talking months, than must really take care liao.

haha relax relax i only want to find out how ppl take care of their equipments on overseas trip. you sound so hostile for what :confused: chill chill

I brought my canon to the swiss alps for 3 weeks, even up to the highest peak in europe @ -3 degrees, it still functions as per normal, didnt even affect the battery.

Didnt have a special place to keep it, just left it in the open when im back to my accomodation, no moisture seep in, no fungus, no damage.:cool:

oh that's good haha thanks for the experience =)

haha relax relax i only want to find out how ppl take care of their equipments on overseas trip. you sound so hostile for what :confused: chill chill

:sweat::sweat:aiyo bro....u got see 监狱风云 ??长官,我大声不代表我没有礼貌。。。:bsmilie::bsmilie: in case u dun understand chinese....it means "I speak loudly does not mean I am impolite"...

hahaha....cool....maybe I sound"hostile", but my intention is not lah....just stating a facts...

:sweat::sweat:aiyo bro....u got see 监狱风云 ??长官,我大声不代表我没有礼貌。。。:bsmilie::bsmilie: in case u dun understand chinese....it means "I speak loudly does not mean I am impolite"...

hahaha....cool....maybe I sound"hostile", but my intention is not lah....just stating a facts...

haha you still remember the lyrics for that part lol... i understand ;p

australia super dry anyway right? means no fugus. the book say just make sure dont go desert if not sand go inside byebye liao :D

ahh nice nice am heading there next month! haha ! thanks for the heads up!

australia super dry anyway right? means no fugus. the book say just make sure dont go desert if not sand go inside byebye liao :D

Should be dry there.. The place I'm going should be sandy =s I guess i need to get a protective bag or what to wrap my camera

For short trip (less then one week) will just bring a pack of silica gel inside camera bag. So far so good.

For long trip, will bring a log a lock and lock box to put camera / lens alternatively inside (with silica gel). The latter is a bit trouble for me, I realized, but just to save the (possible) worried, so I just bring along.

I dont think you need silica gel for an oversea holiday. In the day, you will most probably be using the lens so silica gel in your bag does not serve any purpose. At night, when you are back at the hotel, the hotel room is air-conditioned. So its more or less dry enough.

I learnt a hard lesson during earthquake at padang.
When u leave your room for photography, pack back everything into THE HARD SUITCASE and shoes at the side..
we had to crawl into our hotel room (after corridors of fallen ceiling, rocks, cement, walls and glasses), dark and dusty ... saw my suitcase protected my stuff and shoes from dust and flooded floor...GRAB AND RUN OUT!

I learnt a hard lesson during earthquake at padang.
When u leave your room for photography, pack back everything into THE HARD SUITCASE and shoes at the side..
we had to crawl into our hotel room (after corridors of fallen ceiling, rocks, cement, walls and glasses), dark and dusty ... saw my suitcase protected my stuff and shoes from dust and flooded floor...GRAB AND RUN OUT!

you are lucky.

I've been to countries as cold as -20C with my DSLR. Nothing to worry, because the cam is used everyday, so unlikely for fungus to grow. Just to take note to avoid sudden change in temperature, eg: moving from a cold outdoor to a warmer indoor, which could result to condensation. If this is the case, avoid removal of your cam from your bag, let the cam warm up slowly.

As for the batt, always keep it warm, else drains very fast.

Other than that, nothing else to worry, just don't forget your warm gloves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.