How do you stop people from making wrong decisions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix0r

Oct 2, 2002
West
Just about a month ago, I recommended a friend the Panasonic FZ-20 as it suits his shooting style, and also his hands, and also because it's pretty user friendly for a newbie. He is still learning the camera, but unfortunately he has been caught in the trap of a technologist, ie people who go after the latest technology, without even mastering the basics of the most basic manual controls, like self adjusting the shutter speed on manual mode for a long night exposure.

He told me that he is very tempted by the Canon 350D, and this got me very irate as I know he still has not even mastered the basics of taking and framing photos, let alone outskilled his camera. I questioned him on his ability with his current camera, but he wasn't able to answer me other than saying the photos taken by the 350D looking good. After numberous explainations on how the photographer is much more important the camera, he still was quite convinced it was his camera limiting him. :dunno:

Before I got more annoyed, I just rolled my eyes discreetly and left it at that, even after telling him all the after cost of getting lenses, flashes, and expensive accessories for it. :rolleyes:

some people just have to learn the hard way. just let them be.

Well, if one doesn't value your suggestions, then no hope lor.
I have got the Tamron 90mm F/2.8. Shooting flowers and friend
happily now. And managed to sell my EF55-200.

err ... well ... his loss ...i guess ... just let him learn the hard way lor ...

he'll probably end up using it on the 'P'rofessional mode all the way .. lolz ... like a souped up compact cam ...

anyways if u wana convince him image wise ... take his fz20 and go shoot some amazing pictures and show him .. then borrow a 350D or 300D or D70 and let him shoot ... and let him compare his pics from the DSLR vs your pics from his FZ20 lor ...

or go dig up some damn good pics from FZ20 and show him ...

You don't and you can't.

Unless he's really tight on budget or he can't afford it, his decision isn't "wrong" too.

There are total newbies who jump straight into the pro bodies and sometimes complete with trinities too, juz because they can afford it.

Let them be.

CYRN said:
You don't and you can't.

Unless he's really tight on budget or he can't afford it, his decision isn't "wrong" too.

There are total newbies who jump straight into the pro bodies and sometimes complete with trinities too, juz because they can afford it.

Let them be.
Agree, that's why there is a B&S here in Clubsnap!:D

there are some people who just won't listen to other's advice and there's nothing you can do about it. :dunno:
let them learn the hard way.
part and parcel of life.

IMO, it really depends on how you look at it.

well, if he is loaded, have the $$$ to buy a DSLR, let him be. in a way, that 350D is a better tool to learn about photography. so, why not? :bsmilie:

whether or not he is going to enjoy the fruits of his investment is his own business. next time when he come back to ask you, "eh... how come my shots come out so blur huh? not like FZ20, colours so nice and very sharp. how come no anti-shake arh?". that is when you can give him a good scolding and walk off. :devil:

but of course, to me, to truely learn how to shoot with your mind and eye, nothing beats using a fully manual SLR. I am glad I did just that. :)

tao said:
whether or not he is going to enjoy the fruits of his investment is his own business. next time when he come back to ask you, "eh... how come my shots come out so blur huh? not like FZ20, colours so nice and very sharp. how come no anti-shake arh?". that is when you can give him a good scolding and walk off. :devil:

Actually, should tell him that he needs 70-200L 2.8 IS to match performance. :bsmilie: :bigeyes:

I don't see it as making wrong decision when getting a camera he will use.

It's a wrong decision only if you get a camera and leave it at home:)

So by all means get ANY camera you can afford and go out and enjoy shooting with it.

Some get a kick by getting a new lens once in a while to keep the photography passion going. (meaning actually shooting with it and not collecting it.)

"Wrong" is your point of view that he is not ready for it, and you are judging that his skill isn't even close to being limited by the FZ20 that he already owns. But before digital photography came around, beginners in serious photography would typically buy an SLR to start off with, wouldn't they?

It is ultimately his money and his decision what to do with it. Maybe you're just annoyed that you spent time advising him, yet he chooses to go his own way.

Few of us will ever use our equipment to its full abilities (that we become limited by it). We're more concerned whether it gets scratched and affects its resale value or not.

From your title I don't understand why is that a wrong decision for him to buy a DSLR? Because he is new to photography? What is the wrong you are referring to :think:
My buddy 1st camera is a SLR from his father...don't think he father is wrong right.

As long as one can afford he can buys what he wants. FZ20 and DSLR, which one he buys also need to learn how to use it. Just that FZ20 may be easier. But sooner or later one will upgrade if he/she is really keen on photography. So why not a DSLR for him to learn off and use if he can and is willing to pay.
There is really nothing to be annoyed about....especially over this issue. The 350D got everythings the FZ20 has except for the build in AS I think.
If me I won't stop him from buying something better and something which allows him to have more learning ability and more to explore....

Help him get the best bargin for that 350D! :thumbsup:

Some people here share the same mindset with me, some people don't. I went with a point and shoot before hoping onto a SLR because I know that by the time I have outgrown my P&S, my budget which I had can be put into a more advance SLR camera 6 months later, instead of not fully utilising my P&S, and jumping onto a more advance camera after I get limited by my P&S.

I just felt that because of his personality type, he shouldn't just jump so quickly, but instead hone his skills first, and he isn't a rich guy at all. Just wanted him to save the money and fully exploit the potential of his camera first before he decides it's limiting him.

Don't worry, there are a lot of pros in CS that went this way too, bought a DSLR and can talk very big... (like me). :thumbsup: Don't worry man!!

You can't really stop ur friend... he has the freedom to make that decision. The money is his and also if he feels that getting the 350D helps... then to him it might.

Who knows he might gain some utils from just owning a DSLR. Or feels so good and confident that he goes to pick up a book on DSLR and starts shooting more creatively..... it might just unlock his creative talent..... and if he still CMI.... B&S!!!! Hahaha!

Just my 1/3 f-stop.
;)

why is it a wrong decision becos he cannot do manual control? Only people who have the basics are 'allowed' to buy a DSLR? Think of the cost of his learning path. FZ-20 just to learn the basics of manual control then 'graduate' to DSLR?

Why is it a wrong decision to pick up a 350D right away to learn if he can afford it right now? it would save him the cost of a FZ-20 ($800+?) I wished I could also just bought a DSLR few years back knowing that it is what I wanted.

To but it bluntly, it's none of your business really. It's your friend who wants to buy a new camera, not you. Why jeapordise friendship over something like this?

I've long given up trying to explain the theories on using a camera and which one is a good choice. They ask me good or not, I just say, up to you.

:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.