How do you secure your DSLR?

PolaroidShaker

Mar 24, 2012
Just wondering how the rest secure your camera so that incase the camera slip out of your hands, it wont kiss the ground.

Currently im using the stock neck strap provided by canon. But i'm feeling agitated by the camera bag sling + camera. Feel like its gonna choke me one day.

So i usually wrap around my right hand only but still too bulky. Thinking of buying the 1 hand strap or NO STRAPS AT ALL! (Like nv wear bra)

I have a handstrap on my camera at all times when I'm not using my sling strap. In this way, I can still hand carry it with no worries.

Just wondering how the rest secure your camera so that incase the camera slip out of your hands, it wont kiss the ground.

Currently im using the stock neck strap provided by canon. But i'm feeling agitated by the camera bag sling + camera. Feel like its gonna choke me one day.

So i usually wrap around my right hand only but still too bulky. Thinking of buying the 1 hand strap or NO STRAPS AT ALL! (Like nv wear bra)

The Canon original strap for the Canon F1-N is classy and thin. Dark grey colour. Try to get one if you can.

CameraStrap5.jpg

21135176-260x260-0-0_Canon+Canon+SS+600+Shoulder.jpg

Last edited:
I'm using Optech strap when I'm shooting outside the studio, just wrap the strap around my right hand when I holding the camera, sling the camera when not in use,

and remove the strap totally when I shoot inside the studio,

using D700 with MB, or D800 without MB, either mounted with 70-200 or 24-70, set up is not very light weight, and I don't find any issue at all..

just a matter of get used to it.

I am for NO STRAPS AT ALL. (no comment on bra) So far only kiss the ground once. I only use handstraps for compacts but not DSLRs. If you maintain concentration it should be fine. Straps, for me, has caused even more cameras to kiss the ground due to entanglement and mishandling. I tried those BlackRapid straps but they caused my camera to bang here and there so back to no strap. Anyway my advice is probably poor advice. Better be safe than sorry.

I'm using Op/tech as well.

I like going strapless - it's very liberating :)

I use optech slr wrist strap. There is a review on phoblographer

careful with the wrist strap, i have it also. Don't trust the velcro. lol

Yeaaah long time aago, my friend's dslr dropped because the strap suddenly undone itself. Most probably he squeezed it too much for better support not realising it loosening haha.

Anyw, i think the best is to find a neck strap thats thin enough to use as a sling and also wrap ard ur arm for the times when u need ur cam to be ready for a quick shot (street photography)

optech classic.. can be used as neck strap or disconnect main sling to wrap around the wrist..

Custom SLR glide strap and I attach optech webbing to my camera strap lug and bottom of my RRS L-plate. The optech webbing serves as part of a series of fail safes when using the Custom SLR strap. If not using the strap it is wrapped around my wrist like a makeshift hand strap.

I secure my camera using a Black Rapids RS5, wonderful contraption that liberated me from dread of weight & fear of dropping the camera & lens. Instead of no straps, it like no hands (needed)! My hands are free to do what they normally do & I can get the camera goes into action quickly & safely. Any slip-ups & the camera just drop back to my waist or any predetermined level set by the straps. Makes me fully enjoy carrying the camera about, especially on travels.

Haha... I don't have any strap attached to my camera. I hold it by the grip or the lens as I go.

I had a black rapid RS4 before, sold it after using once. Didn't like the feeling of dangling the camera upside down, at the waist level. Especially when having a mid zoom lens, always need to hold the lens.

Most importantly, on one occasion, the screw came off without me realizing! Luckily was holding the lens while walking, shocked that the lug was detached from the camera. I remember the screw was secured on the camera base, probably the up and down movement had loosened it. So guys take note.

So now using the Herringbone hand strap, but only one free hand now. Might be going back to stock neck strap, so can free out the other hand.

Last edited:
No strap or using the Optech strap without the middle (neck) part.