How do you really rotate in Photoshop Elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

kardtoon

Oct 16, 2006
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I've been searching for an answer to this for some time with no success.

I currently use Photoshop Elements 5.0 to import in pictures from the camera. The program seems to read from the metadata the orientation of the picture and then provide the correct orientation in the organizer view. If you look at the photo in Windows file explorer, the picture is still in the original landscape orientation. It seems to be the same when you are doing the rotating after you import the picture (i.e. manually click on "rotate 90 clockwise".

Is there a way to configure the program to really rotate the picture? I stream my photos for viewing with other PCs in the house and these other PCs and applications are not "metadata" aware.

Appreciate any help that I can get.

Turn your monitor 180 Degrees.

Turn your monitor 180 Degrees.

I think if you cannot help then stop giving stupid suggestions. He is asking for help and your comments is not helping at all.:thumbsd:

Have you tried turning it?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I've been searching for an answer to this for some time with no success.

I currently use Photoshop Elements 5.0 to import in pictures from the camera. The program seems to read from the metadata the orientation of the picture and then provide the correct orientation in the organizer view. If you look at the photo in Windows file explorer, the picture is still in the original landscape orientation. It seems to be the same when you are doing the rotating after you import the picture (i.e. manually click on "rotate 90 clockwise".

Is there a way to configure the program to really rotate the picture? I stream my photos for viewing with other PCs in the house and these other PCs and applications are not "metadata" aware.

Appreciate any help that I can get.
I think you can enable it under the Preferences in the 'Organizer' under Files heading.

I tried turning my monitor and it works! Thanks for the hot tip!

So now, how do I fix the other 1000 photos that are now portait when they should be landscape???

I think you can enable it under the Preferences in the 'Organizer' under Files heading.

I checked and uncheck the rotate command and it didn't work. After browsing and spending more time in Adobe's forum, I found that Elements doesn't rotate the photo during file import from the camera. You have to physically rotate left then rotate right to make it really commit.

What do you guys use to import files from the card to your PC? I need a software that really rotates. The Adobe way is too painful!

I am not sure about elements but for photoshop I does apply the meta data roation once you open it then you need to re-save the file to make the changes stick. Maybe have a bath procesing script to re-save it all in another folder?

I think if you cannot help then stop giving stupid suggestions. He is asking for help and your comments is not helping at all.:thumbsd:

Ok, I am a bit off topic here.
In QCC or WITS, the approach is never to reject or disparage any suggestion, out of hand.
And never to insult the suggester, as giving stupid suggestion.

And sometimes a solution can be elegantly cheap and simple, and not involve complex engineering with high costs.

The modern inventions we enjoy now are the result of suggestions that probably seemed stupid at one time long ago.

If you made a suggestion for the camera to autofocus by itself in a board meeting of a top camera manufacturer in 1950, your boss will be horrified, as you have made a "stupid" suggestion and disgraced him; and all the important people in the whole board room laughed.

If you suggested that there could be such a thing as an atomic bomb with its devastating potential to a top general of any of the warring nations at the start of the 2nd world war (in 1939), he would have thought you were stupid too. The "stupid" idea let itself be known at Hiroshima later.

I am not sure about elements but for photoshop I does apply the meta data roation once you open it then you need to re-save the file to make the changes stick. Maybe have a bath procesing script to re-save it all in another folder?

Yes that would work but opening and re-saving will degrade image quality as I shoot in JPG.

Arrghh why can't adobe just give us an option??!!

I checked and uncheck the rotate command and it didn't work. After browsing and spending more time in Adobe's forum, I found that Elements doesn't rotate the photo during file import from the camera. You have to physically rotate left then rotate right to make it really commit.

What do you guys use to import files from the card to your PC? I need a software that really rotates. The Adobe way is too painful!
Try this freeware called Vallen Jpegger? It's also lossless JPEG rotation and the wizard should be able to perform automatic rotation.
http://www.vallen.de/freeware/index.html#Vallen JPegger

If it still couldn't, then the orientation metadata probably has not been written properly in the EXIF, and you'll need to check your camera settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.