How do you Pack your DC when Going OVerseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Jan 18, 2002
North West
Visit site
Hey guys and gals,

Plan to go overseas trip. How do most of you pack your DC? Pack into check-in luggage or hand carry luggage? If hand-carry luggage, must let the X-ray machine scan. Will the x-ray damage the DC or the SM card or the Digital Video Cam or the iniDV tape. Please advise

Wanted to check with KAwan but don't where is he?

:)

Originally posted by Kevin
Hey guys and gals,

Plan to go overseas trip. How do most of you pack your DC? Pack into check-in luggage or hand carry luggage? If hand-carry luggage, must let the X-ray machine scan. Will the x-ray damage the DC or the SM card or the Digital Video Cam or the iniDV tape. Please advise

Wanted to check with KAwan but don't where is he?

:)

Hand carry....u should have seen how the air-port staffs handle check-in luggages!

DC should survive the X-Ray.....unless there's EMP!!!!

Originally posted by Jayan
Hand carry....u should have seen how the air-port staffs handle check-in luggages!

DC should survive the X-Ray.....unless there's EMP!!!!

leave your chargers in your check in though... don wan to be accused of carrying a detonator...

btw be prepared for checks if you are going to States as the local terrorist network was on the front page of US papers and they have identified Singaporeans as a threat. In any case, do as they say and don pass smart remarks at custom officials (any where in the world for that matter)

Originally posted by sebastiansong

leave your chargers in your check in though... don wan to be accused of carrying a detonator...

btw be prepared for checks if you are going to States as the local terrorist network was on the front page of US papers and they have identified Singaporeans as a threat. In any case, do as they say and don pass smart remarks at custom officials (any where in the world for that matter)
:eek:

Thanks guys. :) Good thing I am not going to US.:D

How about the Sm card and MiniDV tape? Safe to go through the X-ray machine?:dunno:

BTW, what is EMP?:eek:

Thanks guys. :) Good thing I am not going to US.:D

How about the Sm card and MiniDV tape? Safe to go through the X-ray machine?:dunno:

BTW, what is EMP?:eek:

Keep ur SM and any other media in ur pocket...if they demand then hand over to them.

EMP = Electro-Magnetic Pulse.....can fry sensitive electronics stuffs.

Keep ur SM and any other media in ur pocket...if they demand then hand over to them.

those stupid custom people must think that you could tap into the Pentagon comupters with those SM and CF:cool:

probably Kevin can do that... cos he is Mr Coffee Bean (Agent Java at Large)

just remember to get those plastic cases to store those media (and place them in your pocket) while going through customs and everything would be ok.

those stupid custom people must think that you could tap into the Pentagon comupters with those SM and CF:cool:

just remember to get those plastic cases to store those media (and place them in your pocket) while going through customs and everything would be ok.

Theres probably more electromagnetic radiation from the metal detectors than from the X-ray.

They them you are from ClubSnap and come in peace... they let you thru IMMEDIATLY. No qns asked. :D :D :D

Does Changi Airport (Terminal 2) has this EMP thingy - how do we protect our camera if it's gonna fry the gadget?

how strict the customs are, depends on which country, but at these times,
most are quite strict ...
I just came back from Australia 2 weeks back, and they check everything...
belts and shoes are asked to be removed ... my Timberland shoe went
through the X-ray!!! :eek:
my advise is, put your film/media in a clear ziploc bag but don't leave
anything in your pocket ...
(my film went through the SG & Au customs X-ray and they seems ok :) )

Originally posted by tech_snoopy

Does Changi Airport (Terminal 2) has this EMP thingy - how do we protect our camera if it's gonna fry the gadget?

No! All scanning equipment do not emit enuff of this kinda harmful radiation.......unless it's a deliberate attempt to 'kill' electronics.

But the effect of X-Ray on conventional film negetives is real, although the authorities claimed that the radiation is low enough not to harm or damage anything, u better be on the safe side.

Originally posted by nuts
how strict the customs are, depends on which country, but at these times,
most are quite strict ...
I just came back from Australia 2 weeks back, and they check everything...
belts and shoes are asked to be removed ... my Timberland shoe went
through the X-ray!!! :eek:
my advise is, put your film/media in a clear ziploc bag but don't leave
anything in your pocket ...
(my film went through the SG & Au customs X-ray and they seems ok :) )
hi nuts, did you put your SM/CF card through the x-ray machine? I think film is quite safe with the x-ray machine nowaday, I only worry about the SM/CF card.

yup, CF card and microdrive inside G1 all went through the X-ray machine...

..NuTs..

hi nuts, did you put your SM/CF card through the x-ray machine? I think film is quite safe with the x-ray machine nowaday, I only worry about the SM/CF card.

Thankks Nuts for the info. It is comforting to know that someone has tried it...:D

Originally posted by tech_snoopy

From what I know EMP is emitted enmass as a side-effect during nuclear explosion., It is more like a weapon for hi-tech warfare since it frys all chips, including their own devices (Xray, metal detector, handphone etc). I don't think it is even available for commercial use, so airports will not have them. Military EMP bomb may be, but only the elite military countries like USA, Russia etc. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.