How do you organise / browse your photographs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamadam

Feb 9, 2004
Perth
www.flickr.com
I tried searching for this, as I was sure there were some threads already about this, but could not find it, as searching "organise photographs" and it came up with event organising.

I know of Software like ACDSee and Picasa to organise and browse photographs, but what do you use? To browse, to search and to organise? and reasons :)
So I can download the best! ahaha

I found the need for this today after having to open each folder one by one to look for a particular photograph which I was not sure when I took.

Thank you

You can do it the manual way. Classify into different folders based on location/event followed by date (if you went to the same place on different days). Windows XP will let you preview the thumbnails in each folder. Works for me.

Now that I have more pics, I'm using Adobe Bridge which is pretty good, and so is zoombrowser if you have canon cameras.

Don't know 'bout picasa and other free suites though.

1. i use EOS 1D loaded with custom curve and shoot in jpeg so that i no longer have to do post processing. the exposure comes out spot on 90% of the time

2. i use a big HDD and dump the pics into appropriately named folders.

3. delete those that are not good

4 i use DPP and irfanview to edit those pics that i want to print out and then save them in another folder named "print me"

5 then i use windows picture and fax viewer to view fullscreen.

no more fussy programs. no more complicated photoshop. no more mess :thumbsup:

one more thing. i can remember which photo is in which folder in the big HDD. so that also cuts down on any hassle ;)

user111 said:
one more thing. i can remember which photo is in which folder in the big HDD. so that also cuts down on any hassle ;)
Wow, good memory man!:thumbsup:

At the moment I put all my photographs on one HDD, into folders named by the date/event, like 2005_11_20_CurtinLunch, then use windows browse by thumbnails (except for when I shoot raw, but there's a registry addition to view THM thumbnails)
Sometimes it takes a while for thumbnails to load.

I thought there would be some faster software that can show me everything :)

i have a friend who uses ACDSee..he likes it. should be the full or pro version

actually there are various software out there..some are just browers, some are browsers with editing functions. really various

original bundled canon/nikon/etc browser software will also do fine.

the real thing is to either go for
- the features
or
- for ease and speed of workflow

i choose the latter, hence giving up more powerful tools like photoshop..hehe (also due to lazyness ;) ) . yup used to go for perfection and image quality and all that but now a simple well exposed and well composed jpeg will do just fine. life is busy, not much time to work around with photos..simple and fast methods you can consider

adamadam said:
I thought there would be some faster software that can show me everything :)

Convert your RAWs to jpegs. Store your RAWs in a sub-folder within the same folder containing the jpegs, sort of like how photolabs give you your prints plus a pack of the negatives inside.

This way you can view your photos quickly and still be able to retrieve your RAW files.

i jus dump them into relevant folders (e.g. outdoor shoots) then by date & location. pretty easy for me to locate the pics i wan

Status
Not open for further replies.