Not open for further replies.

mactreouser

Sep 22, 2007
Hi,

I heard some forumer said that they do the Metering and Focusing as below:-

Venue:Wedding Event
-Zoom and Composite the picture we want, use the Multi/Average for Metering
-After confirm the metering, Zoom in and Focus the Eyes
-Lock the focus with Half-Shuttle hold and Zoom out again to the composition that we fix at beginning while doing the metering
-Shoot it/Shuttle down after confirm the pretty composition

IS this the way you do?
Any comment or good tips??:bigeyes:

Hi,

-Lock the focus with Half-Shuttle hold and Zoom out again to the composition that we fix at beginning while doing the metering

IS this the way you do?

Are you able to carry all tat in a matter of seconds? Sometimes, split seconds...??

If not, switch to matrix, shoot in aperture priority mode and use a good flash.

Are you able to carry all tat in a matter of seconds? Sometimes, split seconds...??

If not, switch to matrix, shoot in aperture priority mode and use a good flash.

yeah i think for events sometimes i use auto mode:D if not in time to set:D

Zoom-in, focus, zoom-out is generally not required unless the background has much higher contrast than the subject. Also, you cannot do this unless the lens you use is parfocal.

Zoom-in, focus, zoom-out is generally not required unless the background has much higher contrast than the subject. Also, you cannot do this unless the lens you use is parfocal.

wow..this reply is meaningful...

bro.what's parfocal??
I agree that if background higher contrast than subject then for safety focus Zoom in -> Lock Focus-> Zoom out for shoot

Hi,

IS this the way you do?
by the time you ready to shoot, game over liao.

"hack care is a black cat or a white cat, those able to catch a mice are good cat" chairman Teng said.

use whatever metering method, exposure mode you are comfortable with, able to get fast and accurate exposed images is what you need.

wow..this reply is meaningful...

bro.what's parfocal??
I agree that if background higher contrast than subject then for safety focus Zoom in -> Lock Focus-> Zoom out for shoot
btw, the people share with you this, i think is still using manual focus lens, using modern AF lens, don't need to zoom in zoom out.

Not all lenses can maintain focus lock as you change the zoom.

Not all lenses can maintain focus lock as you change the zoom.
Yup... not all zoom lenses have fixed focal point throughout the zoom range (known as parfocal). The method TS mentioned does not work on many zoom lenses nowadays. Many zoom lenses have different focal point at different focal length.

BC

Sure. If you know what you're doing. But if you don't, following someone else's methods without understanding why will only get you into trouble.

Hi,

IS this the way you do?

hi i guess it depends on individuals use on using the preferred metering. The main thing, getting to know how your camera meters, for example, the d70s metering bar would always be underexposed when at the middle, so make it about 2 -3 bars to the + side for just nice exposure

thanks ya sifus...haaa...will practise right now..hope to get a good result then and share with you guys...;)

Yup... not all zoom lenses have fixed focal point throughout the zoom range (known as parfocal). The method TS mentioned does not work on many zoom lenses nowadays. Many zoom lenses have different focal point at different focal length.

BC

...unless the TS meant using continuous servo autofocus..? :think:

For me if i'm shooting portrait or pictures with people for candids and events(need for working fast). i'll do this

Shutter priority to a sharp enough speed.

1. Lock exposure on the face with spot meter or or partial(cannon 400d).
2. Lock focus on Eyes.
3. Recompose and shoot.

i'm using cannon 400D grey card peak in middle will be at +1/3. i use +1/3 on exposure.

Can anyone tell me is there anything wrong with this style of shooting?

For me if i'm shooting portrait or pictures with people for candids and events(need for working fast). i'll do this

Shutter priority to a sharp enough speed.

1. Lock exposure on the face with spot meter or or partial(cannon 400d).
2. Lock focus on Eyes.
3. Recompose and shoot.

i'm using cannon 400D grey card peak in middle will be at +1/3. i use +1/3 on exposure.

Can anyone tell me is there anything wrong with this style of shooting?
In my opinion, Aperture priority is better because it gives control of DOF which is important for portraits, candid and vents.

Status
Not open for further replies.