How do you maximise 35mm F1.8

samueltan99

Jul 10, 2010
I read on many internet website 35mm F1.8 is highly esteemed and recommended. Now that I have one, I like to seek your opinions when do you use 35mm F1.8 and how do you maximise the lens.

What is the difference in performance when I crank up the ISO on a zoom lens say on Nikon 1685, vs 35mm F1.8?

Is it normal that one uses a zoom lens most of the time, while a prime lens some of the time?

Many thanks for your advice.

Really depends on your purposes. What do you normally shoot? That I believe will determine which lens you use more than anything else. The 35 will be good for portraits, where you're emphasizing the shallow DOF and blurring distracting backgrounds, while the 16-85 is more for general purpose use. TBH, I mostly use my Sigma 30mm 1.4 these days. The kit 18-105 comes out only for landscape or close-ups. (coupled with close-up lens).

35mm F1.8 is good for low light too, i think

when do you use 35mm F1.8 and

I using the 35mm most of the time on the streets and documenting, reason being its faster compared to 3rd party alternatives due to SWM, its light (another advantage while on the move) and f1.8 allows me more creativity in using DOF.

how do you maximise the lens & Is it normal that one uses a zoom lens most of the time, while a prime lens some of the time?

Well it really depends on how you are willing to adapt to this gem, some folks swear by zoom lens for comfort and flexibility. Others seek to go solely prime. I tried to challenge myself - adapting by using the 35mm for almost a period of over 6 months, dont change lens everyday everything what you shoot also using this one lens. Over time you will being to develop a mental frame of how a 35mm (52.5mm in 135 format) will look like, by then you will have almost no trouble shooting with it already.

I'm using a D90 and I have no trouble shooting at ISO1600 at f2.8 (you stop down to f2.8 its already optimal resolution across the frame), print out Super 8R no problem!

What is the difference in performance when I crank up the ISO on a zoom lens say on Nikon 1685, vs 35mm F1.8?

I have no prior experience with the 16-85 but comparing the 35mm to some consumer-grade zoom, it is certainly better, the results can be seen when you beo your LCD preview. E.g. results are compared to the 18-105mm f3.5-5.6. This lens is sharp and worth for what it costs. Another better gem would be the Sigma 30 f1.4...

I read on many internet website 35mm F1.8 is highly esteemed and recommended. Now that I have one, I like to seek your opinions when do you use 35mm F1.8 and how do you maximise the lens.

Is it normal that one uses a zoom lens most of the time, while a prime lens some of the time?

Many thanks for your advice.

Interesting.. you asked these questions only after you bought your lens. :think:

Yea. I read on the many reviews on the website how superb 35mm is, and everyone should try out one prime lens, and this is it. Some even advocate this is the only lens you will ever need.

Indeed 35 F1.8 is a delightful performer, it produces good contrast and clarity in low light / night conditions. Other than taking pictures of landscape dur low light or night scene, I want to learn from the rest when / how do you use this lens. I have learnt some use it in museums where you cant use flash, or in weddings... how else? I assume different lens for eg UWA serve different purposes, and this 35 mm is primed for certain purposes too. - Question 1.

Being a fast prime, i understd it is capable of taking action photos in low light conditions. I want understand fr the rest under what circumstances do you try out this feature. - Question 2.

While 35 mm is excellent for protraits, I find the constraint with this lens is it has a limited / narrow view at 35 mm for other purposes. I have to move quite a bit to capture enough within the frame. The constraints is when I move a distance away from the subject, something may come in between me and the subject. I wonder if I am using the lens for the right purpose.

Thank you again...

Yes during my first trial with the 35mm. I am tempted to switch back to the zoom lens. Thats make ms wonder whether I am using the lens for the purpose the lens is designed for. I understd the lens is excellent for protraits, and is supposed alright for street photography... Coming from a zoom lens, sometimes I find the 35mm view abit narrow.. and move quite a lot sometimes. I wonder when I need to move alot, am i using 35 mm for the right occasion.

Mayb u are right, i will use 35 mm for a period of time to adapt my visual imagination to the 35 mm frame. Thanks for the good suggestion.

When i use this lens i do no hesitate to take people pictures, but, this is not really preferred lens for portraits. Something longer is usually better. I think Nikon fans say "105" and Canon fans say '85', and both are on FF. On APS-C try 85 or 50...

But i do have this lens and enjoy it.

i haf both the 16-85 and the 35 f/1.8

both lenses are great, but i prefer using 35 f/1.8 for street shots because it focuses faster and performs better in low light. great for some bokeh work too, but at such a focal length, u haf to focus quite closely to the subject to get a more pronounced background blur.

as for the 16-85, it's more of a travel lens to me. the optics of this lens is great, but i'd say the 35 f/1.8 is better in terms of sharpness.

these 2 lenses serve different purposes for me. for lowlight work and street shots, the 35 f/1.8 fits me better. for general walkabout, the 16-85 will be better for me due to its wider focal length which can be used for landscape, n slight tele at 85mm to capture shots which can't be taken using biological zoom.

Last edited:
Thanks. Where do i see the photos taken with 35mm?

Hi,

I like to use 35mm f1.8 because it helps me to lose weight.

Hope this helps.

:)

I own a 35mm 1.8. I enjoy using it - it's light. However, I certainly do not think it's 'the only lens you ever need'. The lens is great, but I thought the 'greatness' of it is sometimes overhyped. The lens that's on my D90 continues to be the kit lens most of the time. I find zoom lens alot more versatile than a prime. In terms of bokeh, I prefer the one yielded by 50mm 1.8D. But 35mm is great for indoor photography simply bcos it's not so tight indoor.

for me day time i will use 18-105

night time 35 or 50mm as i feel its better than the kit lens =)

I like the photos, they are awesome and HOT !! Are the pics taken by you? I dream to take good protraits photos with 35 mm.

Do you use any other equipment for eg lightings or post processing to achieve the pictures? I dont seem to achieve the same soft lighting you hve in the photos. The lightings in my pics look harsh, compared to your pics. Do you use studio flash, softener, etc?

Last edited:
I like the photos, they are awesome and HOT !! Are the pics taken by you? I dream to take good protraits photos with 35 mm.

Do you use any other equipment for eg lightings or post processing to achieve the pictures? I dont seem to achieve the same soft lighting you hve in the photos. The lightings in my pics look harsh, compared to your pics. Do you use studio flash, softener, etc?

But i got some issue with this link....

How come no men's pictures .... all woman .... yucks ...