How do you lug your monopods around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernards

Feb 17, 2004
I just bought a monopod today. I find my shooting style and subjects make moving around with a tripod too cumbersome.

The only problem is, how do you move lug your monopod around? The monopod has only got a handstrap attached. The optech tripod strap is too big and clumsy to hook on. The monopod is also a little too long to fit into my bag. I can't seem to figure out a good solution today.

How do you carry your's around?

throw inside my sideline shooter :D

Carrying it around like a walking stick is too troublesome for street shooting. The pod also won't fit into my bags.

Does any have a strap like a rifle sling and carry it around slung to your back?

I also got one of those face caribina (dunno the spelling) and hang the monopod or tripod (kept in a tripod bag) off my belt/bag..... like carrying a sword around.

amateur_photographer said:
get a wife?

A maid perhaps! hahahaha :bsmilie:

I just slot it into one of the "slots" made by straps found on my bag's external. But my monopod is the very short type when unextended, only 42cm. (extended is 150cm or so). May not be so convenient for long stuff like Manfrotto 679 (that's why i avoided them). The top of the monopod which is the 234RC head stops it from slipping through the strap "slot" as it is larger than the monopod's diameter.

amateur_photographer said:
get a wife?

My wife is pregnant...again. And my maid is busy trying to catch my 2 year old. They are not much help.

Seems like most people find a slot in their camera bags. I think I'll go shopping for a new bag. Thanks for the advice folks!

I normally have my monopod attached to a long lens and just carry it attached, howver if not then I strap it to my camera bag.

Sorry for bumping this thread from the dead, but does anyone know of a good strap for monopods? Can the existing Optech tripod strap work with monopods?

Yes, the optech strap works. You can strap it higher instead of the full length of the monopod. There will be more slack, but shouldn't affect the way you sling the monopod.

With that said. I have not used my monopod ever since I got myself a CF tripod.

bernardsia said:
Yes, the optech strap works. You can strap it higher instead of the full length of the monopod. There will be more slack, but shouldn't affect the way you sling the monopod.

hmm... i thought your monopod is also CF, comes with a bag? after so long den i see this thread... :bsmilie:

long time no see... how ya?

I use the lens bag shoulder sling strap (which usually end up in the storeroom) from my lowepro lens case to attach to the monopod. One end near the end of the top section and the other end near the head. Then I sling it on my shoulder. Quite comfortable and stable. ;)

bernardsia said:

OpTech Strap?... those things gives me a flimsy feeling... Domke strap are better I rekon...

RossChang said:
OpTech Strap?... those things gives me a flimsy feeling... Domke strap are better I rekon...

Are Domke straps made from neoporene? I have not seen any around.

So far my optech bag shoulder strap coupled with a crumpler pad support is the most effective combo I have. The optech strap minimizes the rebound and the crumpler pad makes it firm and comfortable. Best of both worlds. I use this combo even for my pelican cases.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
hmm... i thought your monopod is also CF, comes with a bag? after so long den i see this thread... :bsmilie:

long time no see... how ya?

That is correct! But the extra weight of a CF tripod is neglibile. the results from using a tripod is priceless. That is why I don't use my monopod anymore.

Damn busy lah. leaving on one of my roadtrips at noon.

My Giottos monopod has a hand strap near the top attached to a metal extension. I put a metal key ring into this "extension". To attach a sling, i put those plastic zip tie thingies at the foot of the monopod (mine has an area where it can go round without interfering with anything) together with a metal key ring. As for the sling, i just reused the old bag sling from one of my photo bags (which i've replaced with better slings). These slings usually have a clip mechanism that allows you to hook it on and off easily. So now i can sling my monopod like a rifle, for "free". :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.