How do you lock Focus and Exposure seperately?

GSiGuy

Sep 14, 2010
I have a k-x and i have a question with regard shooting on a tripod.

I know there is a button where you can lock either focus/exposure or both.

However, sometimes when mounted on tripod, i will lock exposure 1st and then focus (by half press shutter button). But when i recompose when on tripod, sometimes my finger comes off the shutter button and i lose the focus point.

So how do i lock the focus in seperately from the exposure?

Shoot in manual? And use manual focus?

Or just switch to manual focus after you have locked focus?

cannot push the small round AE lock button on k-x?

I don't have a Kx. This is what I do on a K20D. Switch to manual exposure. Press the green button to set the correct Av/Tv. Then press the AF button for focusing.

You cannot really lock focus because everytime you touch the shutter or AF buttons, the camera will re-AF. The only way is to manually focus the lens.

Last edited:
Based on the manual pp. 108-109, you can disable the AF function on the small AF/AE-L button...

set "3. cancel AF" on the menu, meter and exposure lock using AE-L button and do AF using half press on shutter button.

manual.JPG

Based on the manual pp. 108-109, you can disable the AF function on the small AF/AE-L button...

set "3. cancel AF" on the menu, meter and exposure lock using AE-L button and do AF using half press on shutter button.

manual.JPG

thank you for taking the trouble to post the manual's instructions up :)

yes, my k-x af/ae-l button is set only for exposure lock alone.

its the half press on the shutter to lock focus that is the problem. because once you try to adjust the camera on the tripod (to recompose) you may end up letting go of the shutter button thereby losing the original autofocus lock.

it seems that after you have autofocus locked in then the next thing to do is switch to manual so that it won't change (and be very careful not to touch the focus ring!!!).

thank you everyone for the tips!