How do you know what you don't know? (Q on Forensic)

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
Today, read the follow up news report on the Kovan murder and Asiana crash. The same thing from both incidents caught my attention. How do you know which is the fatal blow that terminated the lives of the victims? In the Kovan murder, the younger victim was slashed in the neck before being dragged under a car. Similiarly, in the Asiana crash, the girl was already ejected from the plane before being ran over by a rescue vehicle. How do forensic science determine which accident causes the actual death?

"was slashed in the neck, was seen staggering out of the house and collapsing at the gate.

The suspect then drove the older Tan's silver Toyota Camry, reversed into the son's body, and dragged it for about one kilometre before it was dislodged"

extracted from - Kovan double murder: Suspect was on duty when victim made theft report - xinmsn News

"One of those teenagers was hit on the runway by a fire truck, though it's not clear whether she was already dead when she was struck"

extracted from - 3rd person dies from Asiana crash, hospital says - CNN.com

note: Please do not discuss the 2 incidents other than my topic raised. I think we have read enough from the news on the tragic turn of events. Thanks in advanced.

Autopsy loh.

I know autopsy. However, the timing of one injury is very close to the other. Both are equally fatal. How do the forensics determine the actual cause of death.

And to bring the question a little bit further. If the victim ejected from the plane is already dead, then the rescue vehicle will absolve any responsibilties in the cause of death. But what if the rescue vehicle is the cause of death. Are they liable for any crime?

Please read detective Conan :bsmilie:

But what if the rescue vehicle is the cause of death. Are they liable for any crime?
That would depend on the actual legal framework and the circumstances.

I know autopsy. However, the timing of one injury is very close to the other. Both are equally fatal. How do the forensics determine the actual cause of death.
Only someone such as medical examiners from the Health Sciences Authority (HSA), Forensic Medicine Division (FMD) in Singapore General Hospital (SGH) Block 9, Mortuary@HSA with experience and knowledge in autopsy and post-mortem examination can enlighten you on that though they are definitely able to gather a whole host of information from the slightest details as they said "dead people do tell tales". Meanwhile can check out the following links, especially this.

And to bring the question a little bit further. If the victim ejected from the plane is already dead, then the rescue vehicle will absolve any responsibilties in the cause of death. But what if the rescue vehicle is the cause of death. Are they liable for any crime?
Good Samaritan law? :bsmilie:

When I was stationed at an aerodrome in America, they have some really cool looking Colet SVD Jaguars as Airport Emergency Service (AES) Crash Rescue Vehicles (CRVs), once they were activated and they just plough through inches thick of snow at 100 km/hr like nobody's business. Kind of shock to think of the amount of power they possess at that time since I wasn't expecting it.

nww6.jpg

vejy.jpg

This one will be legal liao, for the Ye MengYuan case. how the judge is gonna rule.

as for the others, autopsy lor

Since you're asking a photography forum and ask photographic enthusiasts who can only believe photos speaks everything, the answer to your question will be 'we will know by exmining the photos! '

Of course, the next question will be which camera will give clearer evidence.

;-)

Last edited:

Interesting how they know that she is still alive prior to be ran over.