How do you know if your film has been exposed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staphylococcus

Apr 28, 2004
If a roll of film is passed thru airport xray machines too often, will it affect the film? How does one tell when the film has been damaged by xrays? Hi speed film > 1600 type?

Thanks in advance

Did you ever see the "Film safe" label on most modern X-Ray machines?

Not sure if all airports have the film-safe X-ray machines. Just get a lead-lined bag and show it to the customs officer when he asks what's inside.

As to how will you know if the X-rays have fogged your film, I guess you will only know when you've developed them after exposure.

x-ray machines are film-safe for the most part.

you can always check with security.

i assume you're referring to normal film in canister type. If it already has been thru many times, you can either use it as an experimental roll or throw away and get a new one.
high speed film tend to be more sensitive -vs- normal 100-400asa films
*(there were cases of funky rolls at least according to some sites i visited years back even when its film-safe labeled). *

With today's technology who knows. No one will guarrantee anything, so at least be mentally prepared if it comes back from the lab a little funky. On your part, i suppose it won't hurt (a lot) to carry a digital body or point-n-shoot as backup.

Last edited:
i If it already has been thru many times, you can either use it as an experimental roll or throw away and get a new one.

I second that; multiple exposure to x-ray will likely do the film in despite modern machine being film-safe. If you put your films in a lead line bag, the officer will likely increase the intensity to see what are inside and this may also harm your films.

x-ray machines for hand-carry are labelled film safe... the check-in ones are not and are more powerful... never put any film there...

I would take out all my films from their canister and placed them in a ziploc bag and request that these be hand checked, it works a few years back not sure if they would do it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.