How do you keep your camera clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spheredome

Jul 5, 2007
AMK
What are the methods that you find cleaning the camera body useful? Give your experience.

I find that the leather chamois or most call them shammy or chamois leather very useful for keeping the camera surface clean after use.

After each use, just wipe the camera, grip and lens body with the shammy and any trace of oil and perspiration removed. Much better than normal chamois. But new shammy may be flakey, if it does, just give it 2 times of washing and dry.

i just wipe with damp cloth and leave it to dry, but i use a blower to blow off any dust trapped.

I use a soft brush to brush off dust on the body, after wiping it with lint-free tissue.
Blow off dust on lens and viewfinder, using blower.

I just keep it in my drycabinet 24/7. Never use it it never dirty.
(Sorry... can't help it :devil:)

I'll use a Dettol wet tissue to clean the body, after usage.
Blow the dusts off the lenses, body and mirror.

Leave it to dry for a while then put it into my dry Cabi..

i put it in the washing machinewith bleach and then sun dry it after each use:D:D:D:D
once every 2 months ill send it for dry cleaning.

nah... normally just blow and wipe with a dry microfibre cloth. too scared of water to even use a damp one.

Blower, damp cloth.

I just clean the glass of my lenses before using.Shoot more, clean less...

I use spectacle clothe for both the lens and the body, and use distilled water to wet it. Anyone knows if that will damage the glass?

I occasionally use rubber/vinyl/plasti c protectant etc Armor All which is usually use for car interior, etc dashboard. Mostly wipe with dry cloth only.

What are the methods that you find cleaning the camera body useful? Give your experience.

I find that the leather chamois or most call them shammy or chamois leather very useful for keeping the camera surface clean after use.

After each use, just wipe the camera, grip and lens body with the shammy and any trace of oil and perspiration removed. Much better than normal chamois. But new shammy may be flakey, if it does, just give it 2 times of washing and dry.
spray with water, wipe and then leave to dry.

as shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnw_H7f4wIA

Last edited:
i will use soft cloth to clean the body after each use.
As for the lens, i never clean it as the front part is covered with filter and the back part never leave the body. (Note : Blower is the only recommended method to clear the light dust from lens).

Since you ask about cleaning, I would like to ask here too hehe.
The camera neck strap (Provided with the camera), how often/do you wash/clean it? As you know, photographer will get sweat.

i will use soft cloth to clean the body after each use.
As for the lens, i never clean it as the front part is covered with filter and the back part never leave the body. (Note : Blower is the only recommended method to clear the light dust from lens).

Since you ask about cleaning, I would like to ask here too hehe.
The camera neck strap (Provided with the camera), how often/do you wash/clean it? As you know, photographer will get sweat.

Body and lens, i will just use a microfibre cloth to wipe.

Neck strap i use a damp cloth to clean the middle part then will air it a day or so then keep it. So far, no sweat smell. :D

i dont use the strap on my neck, most of the time is simply rolled around my hand to stabilize the camera.

for those using Optech, Crumpler and so on the strap, do you guys follow what Ninestar did?

Good hygiene practice especially during this flu season. :thumbsup:

I do believe fungus is kept at bay by Dettol too from the body. BTW, if you are keeping things like shoes, bags, boots for a long long time without using, spray them with a coat of Dettol antiseptic spray (previously Lysol), then bag them. For those whose army boots have not been worn for a long long time, give it a good spray (include the innersole) to prevent foot fungus.

I'll use a Dettol wet tissue to clean the body, after usage.
Blow the dusts off the lenses, body and mirror.

Leave it to dry for a while then put it into my dry Cabi..

I use any cloth I can find and go all over the camera.

Never thought about it but yes strap can smell when expose to damp.

i dont use the strap on my neck, most of the time is simply rolled around my hand to stabilize the camera.

for those using Optech, Crumpler and so on the strap, do you guys follow what Ninestar did?

I use AutoGlym extra gloss protector but not all the time. Except on LCD screen as it leaves finger prints all over.

I occasionally use rubber/vinyl/plasti c protectant etc Armor All which is usually use for car interior, etc dashboard. Mostly wipe with dry cloth only.

It is possible for water resistance model but that is not spraying, it's washing. :bsmilie: I do that with my olympus waterproof cam.
my K20D is a good camera...I think it would make a good stormchaser`s camera with its weather resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.