How do you justify your spending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappy

Sep 3, 2007
Hi guys,

Am reasonably new to photography, and am looking to start upgrading my lenses. But everytime I look at a lens and think of buying it, I do a double take and think of my finances.

Just a little background - I'm a university student with little income of my own except my allowance - which means you wouldn't expect me to be splashing out the cash on L lenses. But everytime I see an ad in the marketplace, my hands feel damn itchy to just go and buy it, only to be held back by my brain. More often than not I can afford the lens, but at the expense of depleting my bank account.

So my question to all you out there is: how do you justify spending $1k+ on a lens? Especially for people who do photog as a hobby rather than as a means of earning money. I'm still a long way from earning money from this hobby as I don't quite have the technical skills or know-how with PP yet, so I don't foresee myself taking on any big jobs apart from the occasional small event for like $50-$100 (done one before, going to do another soon).

Right now I'm surviving on my kit lens and my 50 F/1.8. I have a passion for sports and so I'm oh-so-tempted to spend on a 70-200 F/2.8, and also on a replacement for my kit.

Your input more than welcome...

Happy shooting!

It's all about "needs" vs. "wants".

Is your current set up preventing you from getting that shot you want? In the case of sports, you probably can't do w/o a fast lens. Do you feel the "itch" at night just before you sleep? And after you buy it, do you think you're going to regret it, or be really, really happy with what you've got? If sports is what you commonly shoot, then I say it's money well spent. You don't have to get brand new either. Scouting the Buy and Sell sections could get you what you need at a good price. Almost all my lenses are second-hand. And yup, even though I'm now working, I do understand what it means to be on a perpetually tight budget.

Remember, something is only expensive if it's not worth the money. Good luck.

I shoot often to justify my spendings~

I am also a hobbyist like you and i have spend quite a lot of money on photography. (using my NS pay) And i can say that i dun regret my spendings cuz i love my lenses and i use them whenever i can go for a shoot~ The joy of using something that you earned well is superb:)

Well I splurged on a second hand Sigma 18 - 200mm and it really rocks! No regrets spending on it. But I'm working so I've got some $$$ to spare. :)

As long as the lens/equipment you buy is put to good use, it's worth it. If it ends up sitting in your dry cabinet half the time doing nothing that you probably didn't need it in the first place.

it makes me happy!

the experience good equipment gives me counts! :)

ask urself seriously, will u be using the new lens (70-200) frequently, will u regret after buying the new lens

it is no use buying the lens out of sudden interest and later ur interest die down ( for this case is ur interest of shooting sports).

btw, tat is a good lens to have

ask urself seriously, will u be using the new lens (70-200) frequently, will u regret after buying the new lens

it is no use buying the lens out of sudden interest and later ur interest die down ( for this case is ur interest of shooting sports).

btw, tat is a good lens to have

i agree here. it took me 2 day to decide to get a 16-35 and iuse it not almost every outing i go, but it has been 1/2 a yr and i am still thinking if i should get a 70-200. I find that it will only be good if you use it to take photos and not take photos of it.

I was once in your shoes. There's nothing wrong using your brain to think. The worst thing that can happen is to make an impulsive buy and realise that you run into financial difficulties. Since you're an undergrad now, just wait for another few years to finish your studies, get a job, then you have more disposable income for your purchases.

Meanwhile, save and scrimp, or else borrow your friend's lenses. Go for outings - I'm sure the friendly CSers here will gladly lend you the lenses to try to "scratch your itch" in the meantime. If you need it for some event, rent the lens. Stay out of (or at least minimize visits to) the B&S section.

A person that can delay gratification for a want develops character. :)

Well, in fact you have 3 options...

1. Buy it. It cures your itch but breaks your bank balance.
2. Buy used. It cures your itch but hurts your balance a little.
3. Rent it. It satisfies your craving short term but your balance is safe.

The good thing for Option 3 is that you don't have regrets if somehow the lens doesn't suits your purpose.

start with perfecting the basic skillsets with whatever that is available for now. when you have reached the bottleneck and you are able to feel the need to reach out further with a better tool, then that's the best justification. for those who are unable to differentiate a sharp vs un-sharp photo, it makes no difference to them even if they are holding the sharpest or worst lens in the world.

Hi guys,

Am reasonably new to photography, and am looking to start upgrading my lenses. But everytime I look at a lens and think of buying it, I do a double take and think of my finances.

Just a little background - I'm a university student with little income of my own except my allowance - which means you wouldn't expect me to be splashing out the cash on L lenses. But everytime I see an ad in the marketplace, my hands feel damn itchy to just go and buy it, only to be held back by my brain. More often than not I can afford the lens, but at the expense of depleting my bank account.

So my question to all you out there is: how do you justify spending $1k+ on a lens? Especially for people who do photog as a hobby rather than as a means of earning money. I'm still a long way from earning money from this hobby as I don't quite have the technical skills or know-how with PP yet, so I don't foresee myself taking on any big jobs apart from the occasional small event for like $50-$100 (done one before, going to do another soon).

Right now I'm surviving on my kit lens and my 50 F/1.8. I have a passion for sports and so I'm oh-so-tempted to spend on a 70-200 F/2.8, and also on a replacement for my kit.

Your input more than welcome...

Happy shooting!

one word -- 爽. :bsmilie:
u like it u buy it. end of the day u can cook up 1000 and 1 rational reason why u should not buy. but do u really don't buy?
BTW, photography is nv a need for human to survive. Therefore, it is a want. u know u want it, so go get it. :devil:
love is usually unrational. 爱就爱,there's no why. :bsmilie:

Consider buying empty lens boxes, someone is B&S is selling boxes of really exp lens.
I can afford more exp lens cos 1) I use a cheaper camera. 2) Know what I want, so I dont get 2-3 lens over time to get the same results.

sorry bro... i cannot be found guilty for aiding your desire to kill off your brain hee hee...

everything has a cause n effect...
u buy this... u can do this... u lose somethin ...
if u find that what u spend is worth what you get... then buy it...

dun be infected by the buy buy buy virus

As long as the lens/equipment you buy is put to good use, it's worth it. If it ends up sitting in your dry cabinet half the time doing nothing that you probably didn't need it in the first place.

True~ I have friends who bought the 70-200 f2.8 and find them too heavy to bring out for shoots~ What a pity:(

sorry bro... i cannot be found guilty for aiding your desire to kill off your brain hee hee...

everything has a cause n effect...
u buy this... u can do this... u lose somethin ...
if u find that what u spend is worth what you get... then buy it...

dun be infected by the buy buy buy virus

Yupps... It's about weighing the opportunity costs and seeing whether you realli need and will use the lens often a not...

there's one local forumer said this...

"Let say the item cost $50. Then if you use for 50 times, then this would make it to cost only $1 per use! Then if you use MORE than 50 times, it would cost only lesser!!! Isn't it a steal!? Ok! Buy! Buy!! Buy!!!"

lol...in other words...BBB:devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.