How do you hold your DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyred

Oct 7, 2008
AMK
erikyeoh.deviantart.com
I usually hold it by the body.

I've seen people hold it by the attached lens. I have this fear that it will break from the weight of the body. Too paranoid? :sweat:

Last edited:
hold it by the body.

I've seen people hold it by the attached lens. I have this fear that it will break from the weight of the body. Too paranoid? :sweat:

If the lens is a plastic mount lens, yeah, too dangerous, but otherwise, your worries are uncalled for. How do you think they shoot with 500mm lenses on a regular basis without worrying that the lens will disconnect from the body?

One hand on grip, the other on lens.

It won't break tat easily... the mount is pretty good.

Haha, ok. Because that time my friend wants to test my camera, he took it from me by the lens. Inside me I panicked.

Haha, ok. Because that time my friend wants to test my camera, he took it from me by the lens. Inside me I panicked.

Just remind them on how to handle the gear, grabbing from the front may cause other forms of stress to the zoom. Holding it normally should not affect it.

#1, don't let anyone hold your camera if you think they won't pay you if they dropped your camera.

#2, ask your friend to go and test cameras at camera stores.

#3, most cameras are strong enough to abuse.

I hold by the camera body.
But the mount is not as fragile as you think.
Remember sometime ago, someone posted a blown up diagram of a dslr.
The mount is actually part of the chassis.

Go google on the 3d diagrams of what's inside a camera body. You'll realise the mount is actually more secured than you think :)

1 hand on lens, the other on the body. My lens is pretty heavy so needs support.

...with my hand:bsmilie:

sorry, couldn't help it:embrass:

I usually hold it by the body.

unless it is subjected to very big impact... otherwise, the lens just shldnt fall off easily...

Hmm, and when putting it down on table, I always make sure I've returned it back to smallest focal length ist. Think this is common practise rite?:)

i usually hold the handgrip or if it's a big lens (e.g. 70-300mm etc); then the base of the lens, near to the mount....

Noob here.
Usually my left hand holding the lens is in the normal 'U' position cupping it.

However, when I'm shooting something that will require quick zoom(rotary, not slide type) changes, I find it much easier to hold it in an 'C' or 'N' position.

Do you guys do that as well?

Noob here.
Usually my left hand holding the lens is in the normal 'U' position cupping it.

However, when I'm shooting something that will require quick zoom(rotary, not slide type) changes, I find it much easier to hold it in an 'C' or 'N' position.

Do you guys do that as well?

I'm a full time 'U'-ster =D
Find it easier to distribute weight across 2 hands

Status
Not open for further replies.