How do you get sharp focus on moving subjects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barracuda

Jul 14, 2002
Singapore
www.fearstar.blogspot.com
hi, I am using a canon 20d, an old cam without any face regconition. so if i want to shoot a person running, how can i get a sharp focus on the face, esp with all those possible focusing points?

Please share your experience. Many thanks in advance. :)

hi, I am using a canon 20d, an old cam without any face regconition. so if i want to shoot a person running, how can i get a sharp focus on the face, esp with all those possible focusing points?

Who the heck needs face detection? All the sports photogs out there have no "face detection". Learn how to use the camera instead of relying on marketing gimmicks.

Use Continuous AF instead of Single AF would help.

Since you are using a Canon system... use "AI Servo"... to keep your moving subject in focus.... example as shown below:

3315879531_40fe848cd9_o.jpg

1. Anticipation.
2. Dynamic AF
3. Pre-focus, or using manual focus.

since when did SLRs have face detection anyway?

oh wait. my d300 does have some sort of focus preference for a person's eyes. but it can't always be relied on anyway.

the alternatives are to lock the focus point on the eyes and use dynamic AF and AF tracking, and to shoot bursts. it's about probability as well.

I think D90 have face-detection..

well. I would just set it at shutter priority with AI servo.

then I would shoot at 1/125, 1/250, etc, depending on the situation.

AI servo rocks. you should practise it by doing by panning some cars and stuff. perhaps you could try focusing on something like the car plate or the headlights. :)

Also helps to have a "reasonable" DOF. If shooting at large apertures and DOF is only a few cm, then chances of OOF pic is higher.

I think face recognition is not integrated into Canon's DSLRs, only the compacts. Anyway use AI Servo and pan, make sure that your shutter speed is enough.

I think face recognition is not integrated into Canon's DSLRs, only the compacts. Anyway use AI Servo and pan, make sure that your shutter speed is enough.

Canon's 5DM2 does have face detection (not recognition), however it can only be used in LV... and it is slow.... :(

I used to be a sniper. Times was good no war so i now snipe with a cam. Its the only thing i am good with in life i guess. The principle of this 2 profession's the same. You locked on and trail your target, or you aim ahead predicting your target's next approaching location. :confused:

AI servo is continuous focus mode, the camera will assume the subject is moving and attempt to focus accordingly, partly by predicting the subjects distances wrt the camera.

For AI Focus, the camera will decide whether the subject is stationary or moving, and dynamically select the appropriate focusing mode accordingly. i.e. If subject starts to move, it will switch to AI Servo, and when subject stops, it will switch to one shot, provided you're constantly half-pressing the shutter button all the while.

Basically, if you trust the camera's AI, you can leave the camera on AI Focus 100%. However, in practical shooting, usually pple don't trust the camera's AI, and preferred to tell the camera what mode to use depending on the situation.

Guess the default setting is AI Focus for Full Auto mode.

What is the difference between AI servo & AI Focus? They seem to be the same to me. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.