How do you get others to know your works?

photocrazykia

Feb 19, 2011
Hey I'm just starting out in the wedding photography business.

Would any kind soul like to share how you get your name out?
Does it just includes getting your photos critiqued on clubsnap?

Do anyone know how you can get yourself listed as a vendor on websites like Singaporebrides or Wedding Tweets?

Do they charge money?

Thanks so much in advance!

For Singaporebrides, the quotation I get from them is $3500 per year.

Not sure about Wedding Tweets if they are charging.

You can also get accredited in programs like WPAJ etc, so your site will be featured as well on their site, but you must pay member fees and fulfilled some criteria.

the best and the cheapest is word of mouth... thats the best marketing i believe

by using paid advertisement, make sure you have enough bullets, else you will not able to last till you able to enjoy the fruits.

Word of Mouth will take sometime to build up, for a new kids at the block, you need to get your name out.

try get your name out by telling all the people you know, give them namecards, buy people lunch for recommended customers to you.

when you shoot a wedding, don't forget you have many potential customers around, some may walk up and ask for namecards. remember to do your best to shoot in a wedding, when your wedding couple is please with your services, they can bring you a few customers.

one more thing, don't shoot for free and dirt cheap, never! ever!
you will find very hard remove the label on you once you want to move to next level.

by using paid advertisement, make sure you have enough bullets, else you will not able to last till you able to enjoy the fruits.

Word of Mouth will take sometime to build up, for a new kids at the block, you need to get your name out.

try get your name out by telling all the people you know, give them namecards, buy people lunch for recommended customers to you.

when you shoot a wedding, don't forget you have many potential customers around, some may walk up and ask for namecards. remember to do your best to shoot in a wedding, when your wedding couple is please with your services, they can bring you a few customers.

one more thing, don't shoot for free and dirt cheap, never! ever!
you will find very hard remove the label on you once you want to move to next level.

:thumbsup:

Hey people! Thanks so much the advice!
Actually I've prob already made the mistake of shooting for others for free!
And even after doing 2-3 such free ones, I havent gotten any assignments. kinda feeling abit discouraged.

Btw do anyone know how much do WPJA charges? I heard u need some recommendation to get in?

Hey people! Thanks so much the advice!
Actually I've prob already made the mistake of shooting for others for free!
And even after doing 2-3 such free ones, I havent gotten any assignments. kinda feeling abit discouraged.

Btw do anyone know how much do WPJA charges? I heard u need some recommendation to get in?
that is the reason, when other people can get it free, what should I pay for it?
so when others pay for $300 for a wedding shoot, why should I pay another $50 more?

Now you can forget about the lead from the couples you shot, unlikely any of their friends will hire you. try start from a fresh set of customer group.

every time you up your price, you are throwing away some of potential customers from your past contacts. So it make sense to get the first footing right. when you are at sub 1k, rising $50 is consider a lot to many customers, when you are above 1k, $50 is not too much to bear for most customers.

Hey thanks people.

Here's what I found after some research. Thought i'd just share it
with other newbies like me

Wedding Tweets
Listing on their Directory is free of charge but they
have some criteria with regards to your portfolio etc

Singaporebrides
$3,500 per year on their directory

WPJA
US$300/year or $25/month.

that is the reason, when other people can get it free, what should I pay for it?
so when others pay for $300 for a wedding shoot, why should I pay another $50 more?

Now you can forget about the lead from the couples you shot, unlikely any of their friends will hire you. try start from a fresh set of customer group.

every time you up your price, you are throwing away some of potential customers from your past contacts. So it make sense to get the first footing right. when you are at sub 1k, rising $50 is consider a lot to many customers, when you are above 1k, $50 is not too much to bear for most customers.

Absolutely true. Or at least base from my experience. I'm just wondering if its possible for people to want to pay for your service if you haven't got much experience?

I'm gonna be daring and ask you straight up. Are you looking for the best and fastest way to make money? Because it looks to me that you're asking for means of advertising, then realising that advertising is not cheap decided to ask If there is a way to make money with little experience?

Because these days there definately is tonnes of way to do it. Because many have went by the "Fake it till you make it" style.

So seriously, What is it that you might really be looking for?

My feeling is that TS hasnt have a feeling how this whole Jargon is run. By asking which is a good way to get notice . TS is also putting himself in way of letting others know that the lack of experiences / exposure in weddings. Photos from your shoots can tell alot of things.

Hi TS, there are many channels to advertise your work, just google and you could easily find hundreds to thousands of them. I think most importantly your photos must speak "louder" than any words you put in your advertisement, and if they do, the customers will come to you soon. Just be patient and always remember to polish your skills while waiting.

Photography like any business is not a miracle.

I believe if you have read the thread about starting out on http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839901 it should give you good overall concept of getting started.

Getting your work known would largely depend on marketing but before you market, you will need to know first who to market to and the process goes on.

Photography may not be the most lucrative market and you can make lots of money by doing a lot of other thing. Photography is self expression to what you find it relevant to your "voice". Enjoy the journey but if you are looking for money to start with, this is hard work.

Regards,

Hart

Absolutely true. Or at least base from my experience. I'm just wondering if its possible for people to want to pay for your service if you haven't got much experience?
that depends on how you define "haven't got much experience"

it can be from "zero in fundamental photography as well in wedding coverage", to "competent to work independently but only shoot less than twenty weddings"

I have seen many photographers prefer to shoot as secondary photographer until he/she acquired enough experience and portfolio, so when they are on their own, they are labeled as competent and experience photographers trained by XXX photographer, able charging above 1k from the start.

I have no ideal of how is your skills and what portfolio you have, spending money on advertising, the cost can be very high, are you able to justify and recuperate the "investment", and able to last long enough to see the "fruits" of your advertising efforts?

so sorry, we don't have the answers for you.

Jobs availability and salaries are an all time high now (its amazing what they can offer now, I was offered about 50% more than my current corporate job). Inflation is also very high nowadays.
From the questions you are asking, and assuming that you are just an average shooter, there is a very high chance that you will fail.

I can also tell you that from me shooting since 7 years ago, if i relied solely on photography for the first 2 years, i'd have to eat instant noodles everyday to survive.

I presume you are not married yet. You will get married eventually, i presume....in a couple of years time. It is better not to take the risk.

"Does it just includes getting your photos critiqued on clubsnap?"
I know some very good photographers earning big bucks are posting pix here - but generally I'd give you the smack in reality is that 99.9% the jobs available here are not what you'd want to start off with. Last time I started off with ~ $500.... now newbies are a dime a dozen charging even lower but with everything so much more expensive due to inflation. I barely made it worth while in photography and could only survive with multiple income streams (you rarely get shoots in April, Jul, August....and perhaps May too). What gives?

Last edited:
assuming that you are just an average shooter, there is a very high chance that you will fail.

I can also tell you that from me shooting since 7 years ago, if i relied solely on photography for the first 2 years, i'd have to eat instant noodles everyday to survive.

All i can say is ... its definitely possible to solely rely on this trade even from the first 2 years of biz. Its how you do it and how experience you are on the business aspect.

Part of many reasons why only 5% of the field makes it pass the 2nd year in this business.

All i can say is ... its definitely possible to solely rely on this trade even from the first 2 years of biz. Its how you do it and how experience you are on the business aspect.

Part of many reasons why only 5% of the field makes it pass the 2nd year in this business.

Actually it also relies quite a lot on the society by large. :bsmilie:

Just another OT story :
When I was "planning" and ROMed in 2002, I was still young and naive. I figured that my wife did not need to work (coz she is not local). :embrass: Searched for a house and booked Pinnacle @ Duxton for 346k in 2004. I knew its going to be a good catch, but did not know that a single salary based on diploma qualifications (I wasn't shooting then) is going to be very dangerous - actually I cannot afford the home technically speaking.

Started to supplement the income by shooting and then the wedding came in 2005. Sheesh, that is really the initial first bomb. The savings were just enough. Second bomb came in the first 10% downpayment for the flat, the CPF from the job covered that....but for photographers "sole proprietors" you have to deal with that. Re-planned my finances and figured that its gonna need much more than that, kicked into turbo mode and earned as much as possible.

To keep a long story short, you have the 2nd downpayment and flat monthly HDB installments and SC&C and utitlies/internet/phone bills to deal with, renovation, kids.... I also realised that INUSURANCE and planning for RETIREMENT is important and you start by late 20s. I don't drive now (coz my place is convenient, buses + 2 MRT stations with the 3rd one coming + easy to take cab), but I guess many would want to drive so add that in.
Also need to supplement with "relaxation" stuff like hobbies/shopping/tour - don't have to be too fanciful or luxurious, free & easy to Asian countries is just fine. :bsmilie: But I know I will go crazy if I do not once in a while get out of Singapore. :sticktong

Of course one can easily nowadays earn enough with both parties working and even save like 2k combined (as of the societal conditions now) in a combined savings account. But I think nowadays if one's investment does not do well enough, it is not enough to hedge the inflation. 2k savings per month may not be enough, the guy will have to work till 60+ and the lady past 50.
True story : I have had many guys who wanted to enter the stock market in 2009, but did not have enough bullets to whack. Not enough bullets - you don't muck around when you just have 50k or so worth of savings with so many other commitments.

Nowadays the flats are ex, Punngol waterfront went for a price that is higher than mine. That is IF you manage to get it and not only the matter of money. :sweat: Or pay high prices for resale. I think most of us have heard of wedding-couples-to-be sad stories.

When I saw that 5 shops and 6 push-carts in Suntec last Sunday closed down, I knew that it is time to push up my prices slightly again. More price increases is coming (still haven't GE!).

Others may not look at it in such dire conditions though.... that's just me.

Agreed with what 2100 said.
It's not easy to solely rely on income from photography. At the beginning stage, it's better to do it part-time and have another stable full-time job.
Wedding photography is not like streets, landscapes, portraits and macro photography. It really requires the real passion to shoot for the bride & groom and the patience to control the mess during the wedding, also not to mention the huge amount of energy(shoot from 5am till 11pm full day plus several hours in editing later) and sacrifying the precious weekends spent with your love ones. When factoring all these together with the high inflation worldwide, expenses living in a modern city like Singapore and equipment costs, you may have to think again and come up with a better plan.

Last edited: