How do you fire?

Stofen is designed to bounce the light from the flash head in all direction so that the light can be further bounced to the subject via the ceiling, walls and floor (which ever is available). If you use out door, then the only effect it has is that you will hit the subject direct plus the bounced light from the floor (if the floor condition is good). This may help to fill some shadow under the neck if the direct flash is too harsh...:)

anybody that uses direct flash with stofen for outdoors?

Direct flash, ceiling bounce, wall bounce, Sto-Fen, Bounce Card, Whaletail, toilet bowl.

At the end of the day, the most popular method may not necessarily be the method that works 100% of the time. You, as a flash photographer, must know how to adapt and use what is on hand to achieve the best results.

This is why flash photography is an art (and a whole skill set) in itself.

Just by simply asking what other photographers do with their flash when shooting does not mean you will get the same great results. Knowing how to control your flash, settings-wise is just as important as physically controlling the bounce with bounce cards, diffusers and such.

Direct flash, ceiling bounce, wall bounce, Sto-Fen, Bounce Card, Whaletail, toilet bowl.

At the end of the day, the most popular method may not necessarily be the method that works 100% of the time. You, as a flash photographer, must know how to adapt and use what is on hand to achieve the best results.

This is why flash photography is an art (and a whole skill set) in itself.

Just by simply asking what other photographers do with their flash when shooting does not mean you will get the same great results. Knowing how to control your flash, settings-wise is just as important as physically controlling the bounce with bounce cards, diffusers and such.

Its just a curious thread..

No fix method. It depends on what is available and where do you plan to have the light coming in from ...

Agreed. Depends on the situation and the type of lighting effect u want,

Sometimes dual or triple flash effect are used in certain conditions.

My saikang hovers my flash mounted on a lightstand above the subject's head to emulate ceiling light, and one second flash on my left hand as the fill :D

Wouldnt taking someone with a wall behind cause a shadow even with or without diffuser? Without a wall to bounce off and only a single flash gun , What will you do ?

Lightsphere is pretty good for indoors and some outdoors. Indoors, I use it without any attachment, ie. the top is bare. If celling too high or using it outdoors, I use the chrome attachment. Adjust the FE accordingly for fill flash.

But it drains the batteries a lot when used outdoors. Wondering if I should just get a bounce card for outdoors.

i chose the 1st 3 coz im using them regularly depending on the type of shoot and location...