How do you find Singaporean drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimcraze

hi, been driving for the past 10 years already and have encountered many different kinds of drivers in Singapore and overseas. Generally find that many local drivers are very not very giving on the road.

Let's share some your views of Singaporean drivers. :)

they always think its their 'Grand Father's' road
They drive:

1) in between lanes, esp when trying to over take you
2) on road shoulders, esp taxi drivers
3) Flash you with their headlights if you travel slower than them
4) Blast their horns if you delay <= 2 sec moving off
5) Like to 'kiss you bumper' esp in multistorey carparks when there is a queue going uphill

enough for now .......... :)

most famous:
'DIGGING GOLD' TO GET ATTENTION ! :)

1. Speed up when u signal you're changing into their lane
2. blind to the yellow box
3. forget abt thanking you if you let them cut in front of you
4. No signal or flash signal for all of 2 seconds when changing lanes

I was a aggressive driver when I started driving (10 years back) but have slowly thru the years learn to be a defensive driver....but still cannot stand drivers that :

1. Tailgate
2. Roadhog
3. don't signal and want to cut into the lane (rude)
4. Park their cars badly

ALL that has been mentioned, you will find them in drivers all over the world. Has nothing to do with the citizenship.

Not really, I've seen a lot of drivers in eurpoe that are friendly on the roads. They give way when u signal u're changing lanes, thank you by waving when u let them cut in front. There was once I was trying to turn out into main road from a small road and there was a slight queue on the main road as cars waited for the light to turn green. There was no yellow box, but a driver actually reversed his car a little when he noticed me waiting so that I could turn out. I think I'll never see this in s'pore.

I have no problems with drivers who need to make the sudden lane change, taxi drivers who tail gate, etc. We all are caught up in a hectic lifestyle, and a little impatience is understood. However, do not act like you have a god given right to do all these things. How about a little wave after you have cut into my lane? At least it would make driving more pleasant!

Jean said:
Not really, I've seen a lot of drivers in eurpoe that are friendly on the roads. They give way when u signal u're changing lanes, thank you by waving when u let them cut in front. There was once I was trying to turn out into main road from a small road and there was a slight queue on the main road as cars waited for the light to turn green. There was no yellow box, but a driver actually reversed his car a little when he noticed me waiting so that I could turn out. I think I'll never see this in s'pore.

then u never met me on the road. i do just that! :) but i am usually upset by the response i got from majority of the drivers who are at the receiving end. They do not acknowledge the fact u made the extra effort for them and think they deserve it. that's when i get irritated and say i'd never do it again but i still do. It's a great feeling when someone does wave thanks. rare gems those very few times.

But generally it's a pity that most road users don't wave thanks when u give way to them. why? i don't think when i owe it to them to do that.. so at least be nice back.. nevermind, takes years to cultivate that.

Hey, funny that this post came in time!!! I was about to post a similar question cos of my experience this morning...

I had to cross a small road on my way to work. Saw a car coming which had the choice to turn left or go straight. I was waiting for any possible signal from the car. None was shown. So naturally I assumed the driver was gonna move straight. I started crossing. I was slightly more than the half way mark when the car started turning in. I continued walking as normal with just a few steps to the other side. Then I heard this awful jarring horn from the car. OH MAN!!!

I was peeved. I stared at the driver and saw this slutty woman in her 20's with sunglasses. I pointed to her signal light in front and gesticulated "Where's your darn signal??" She looked kinda stoned. Maybe she mistakenly thot she or her mother ruled the road or something. Not sure if the air head gal got my message anyway. I was thinking, if she dared horn again or did something I'd walk over and open her side of door.

You'll never see this happening in the US/Canada where I've lived for a couple of months and have heard of the road ethics there. Or at least it's very rare. Over there, on many occasions, I was pleasantly pleased to know drivers wait for pedestrians. On some instances, I was quite a number of steps away but yet the drivers patiently waited for me to cross even though he had the right to move if he so desired. It's the big cities we're talking about, not just tiny so-called "busy" Singapore.

I was also told that Western drivers have respect for pedestrians. Unless you can prove that you have no time to stop or react, even in red light, and the pedestrian crosses the road and you knock him or her down, you can be charged. Come to think of it... it's reasonable. You are driving a car -- a machine. Why should you "attack" or take on a pedestrian?

We have such strignent driving tests yet every year, there are still so many road accidents, some very fatal ones. Why? Why don't we start with the attitudes first?

I think those behavior mentioned above should be quite common in other countries as well. Though I think its getting worst in Singapore. The behavior that I can't tolerate most are those driver who are making the mistake yet they will horn you or show you the finger or scold you.

eg there was this motorcyclist who was on the right lane of a 2 way slip road into the main road, (I was in the left lane). So instead of him moving into the right lane in the main road he just cut into my path into the left lane of the the main road (which is the road I should be going to) without looking that I was on his left (he was looking at the right for oncoming car from the main road). So I horn him lightly to warn him (which of course shock him :bsmilie: ). Instead of apologizing he start scolding and showing his finger.

kiwi2 said:
I was also told that Western drivers have respect for pedestrians. Unless you can prove that you have no time to stop or react, even in red light, and the pedestrian crosses the road and you knock him or her down, you can be charged. Come to think of it... it's reasonable. You are driving a car -- a machine. Why should you "attack" or take on a pedestrian?

i'm not entirely sure on this but i think it's somewhat the same in singapore. if u hit someone and it's your right of way, u're still gonna get into some kind of trouble.

Quacks said:
i'm not entirely sure on this but i think it's somewhat the same in singapore. if u hit someone and it's your right of way, u're still gonna get into some kind of trouble.

But if it was proven that the driver has taken all the precaution (not speeding etc) and that maybe the road lighting is not good (visibility is bad due to light and maybe trees) and its the fault of the pedestrian, you can be acquitted (which is fair). There was such a case in Singapore.

Nowadays a lot of jaywalking pedestrians walk without looking at all. Don't they teach the look left, then right then left again before crossing in school anymore?

sorry i just have to say this but people can always complain about inconsiderate drivers not knowing that they themselves are one too..

i'm not finger-pointing. it's an observation.

CaeSiuM said:
sorry i just have to say this but people can always complain about inconsiderate drivers not knowing that they themselves are one too..

i'm not finger-pointing. it's an observation.

Of course, everyone is definitely guilty of it.

But we just want to hear what everyone has to say about it. Then maybe we will realise some people find our behavior inconsiderate though we think its alright.

sporean drving style is definitely worse than europe,i was travelling on a tour bus in koenswinter (germany) along a very narrow lane when our path was blocked by a small lorry,instead of horning loudly ans waiting for that F*** lorry driver to come out and shift(s'pore style) our bus driver stop the vehicle,went into a few shops and find the owner of the lorry and inform him problem.after the lorry made way for our bus,both drivers wave thank you to each other and move on.
i was really surprised by their road manners and ashamed of my driving :embrass:

cheers !

kiwi2 said:
I was peeved. I stared at the driver and saw this slutty woman in her 20's with sunglasses. I pointed to her signal light in front and gesticulated "Where's your darn signal??" She looked kinda stoned. Maybe she mistakenly thot she or her mother ruled the road or something. Not sure if the air head gal got my message anyway. I was thinking, if she dared horn again or did something I'd walk over and open her side of door.

open her door and do wor?? Slutty? airhead? why do you judge??

Did someone say this before?
Singapore drivers are rude because they know nobody can do anything in Singapore.
USA/Europe drivers are polite because they fear the other guy will pull out a gun and shoot if he gets angry. :angry:

Another interesting thing that I noticed about drivers here is during raining.

Drivers will automatically switched on their headlights (for safety so that cars behind/in front can see them). However instead of keeping a longer following distant (due to slippery road => long braking distant) they still keep the same distant (as dry weather) or worst continue to tailgate the car in front.

So contradicting, can switching on lights help if you are tailgating. Isn't it obvious that keeping a longer following distant more important and safer than just switching on light.

Eh, obviously no one has been to India. I always thought singapore had quite rule following and proper drivers, at least compared to India.

I say drive just once in a major Indian city. If you live, it will be an experience you will not forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.