How Do You Filed (Arranged) Your Finish Products (Photos)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackie9919

Apr 25, 2006
BB
Hi All,

I know to some this is a no brainer question, but to me, I find it very difficult :embrass:.

We all know, with digital photography, overtime, we tent to snap thousand and thousand of photos. At the end of the day, we upload them to our PC (or digital media), my question is how do you arranged them? Do you categorise them by date, or maybe by type of photo or name them etc?

Snapping sweet moment is easy but after awhile looking for them is a chore.

I am a newB, any pointers or suggestions of how to arrange them in cyberspace, are very much appreciated. :angel:

I guess it depends on what software you are using as well. I toggle between using windows explorer and ACDSee to file my images.

I simply name the folders as:
<Month number> <Project title> <DD MMM YY>
so this would give you a folder name like "08 Seventh Month Getai 28 Aug 07", which goes into another folder named by year.ie 2007.

The nice thing I like about this is that you can easily sort your folders accordingly in chronological order.

for the raw files i will label by date taken and processed images will have a name of event tagged on the folder.

Hi All,

I know to some this is a no brainer question, but to me, I find it very difficult :embrass:.

We all know, with digital photography, overtime, we tent to snap thousand and thousand of photos. At the end of the day, we upload them to our PC (or digital media), my question is how do you arranged them? Do you categorise them by date, or maybe by type of photo or name them etc?

Snapping sweet moment is easy but after awhile looking for them is a chore.

I am a newB, any pointers or suggestions of how to arrange them in cyberspace, are very much appreciated. :angel:

Seems that you are looking for a digital asset management application. Categorizing by date is usually the first approach taken by a photographer but it does have limitations. A couple of years from now, the chances of you remembering when you took a specific photo would be very low. You can also use an event and group them by date, but you would encounter issues when you have more than one event in one day.

There are dedicated digital asset management applications like Canto Cumulus (I haven't used it) and then there are tools like Apple's Aperture & Adobe's Lightroom which allow you to keyword your photos and arrange them which ever way your workflow takes you.

Bottomline is, if you keyword properly, you can find your photos with these applications.

Hope this helps.

i did it my having folder for a year like 2007, inside that with folders name with <day month>-<event>. a seperated folder of shortcuts if u wan to group by type, like a folder for my portfolio

If you can name your folders with date + keyword you can easily do a search on vista which is really good at this. To make it simple also maybe should put into different YEAR folders and catagory folders like "EVENTS" or "FUN" or "PERSONAL" stuff like that on top of the "2007" and "2006" folder.

Thanks you all for the prompt responses.

It seems, the tagging and keyword with the help of certain softwares would help. All this time, I was taking things for granted until recently when I wanted to fished out cetain event that I took a couple of years back, make me realises it was a chore. :dunno:

Now, the hard part... sorting out all the photos... sigh

None the less, thanks a lot for all the advices and tinkering. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keep it coming, I am pretty sure, i am not the only one who is reading all these good pointers.

:gbounce: :gbounce:.

Adobe lightroom managed and organised my photos well. Apart from user keywords, the program also tags lenses and cameras used automatically.

How about the Photoshop File Browser, is it sufficient for doing this?

i name the event and have sub events within.

for example, my grandfathers birthday.

Photos -> Family -> Grandpa's birthday -> RAW & Resized

It seems to work for now.

Thanks you all for the prompt responses.

It seems, the tagging and keyword with the help of certain softwares would help. All this time, I was taking things for granted until recently when I wanted to fished out cetain event that I took a couple of years back, make me realises it was a chore. :dunno:

Now, the hard part... sorting out all the photos... sigh

None the less, thanks a lot for all the advices and tinkering. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keep it coming, I am pretty sure, i am not the only one who is reading all these good pointers.

No... hardest part is not sorting out the photos. The hardest part is to remember where to find the photo 3 years down the road when you need it if you don't sort properly now! :)

I use a <YYMMDD> <Event> format. I archive chronologically. But, since I use iPhoto, I split the photos further into broad categories like, family, holidays, projects, etc. Faster to view

I do not use keywords, as I find it troublesome. But when I want to find something, it is a serious headache.:sweat:

I use a <YYMMDD> <Event> format. I archive chronologically. But, since I use iPhoto, I split the photos further into broad categories like, family, holidays, projects, etc. Faster to view

I do not use keywords, as I find it troublesome. But when I want to find something, it is a serious headache.:sweat:

Should use keywords as it really helps in neatening the archive.

For instance, if I had outing photos and I tagged all the photos of Jonathan with 'jon' or something, it would be easier to locate all his photos later to send them to him/email them etc.

what about picasa2? free. and i find the search engine is very fast.
keyword properly and the search is a snap.

anyone using this as the main organiser?

Personally, I file them by date. Folder by folder and add in the edited pictures there with descriptive names and if possible, tag them properly too.

That way, when I archive them, I can search for them easily.

Adding keywords and tags to photos is tedious but when searching for stuff in the future, it's a breeze.

If there are not a lot of photos, adding Metadata is great too. I just realised that if I add Title and Description, when I upload to Flickr, those Metadata will be used accordingly to fill in the Title and Description. If you don't use Metadata, the filename will be used (e.g. 123123.jpg).

I use <YYYYMMDD><Event><Sequenced-Numbers> for my filenames. I also save all the RAWs into DNG, so that Metadata can be saved onto the DNG itself. But DNG is slightly larger than RAW.

For folders, I just sort them into years, then events.

a few Digital Asset Management (DAM) softwares out there
IMatch, i like this the most.
IView MediaPro, most reputable, bought over by Microsoft and now branded under Microsoft Expression.
IdImager, havent try this, but from my "googling", it seems it is quite reputable as well.

read this book, very comprehensive explanation for DAM
www.thedambook.com

Hi there, just got into photography too and i name my files by

Foldername -> Month/Year Folder -> Date Folder

In the Date folder, there would be a folder for RAW files and processed pictures.

I don't do specific events and just shoot randomly so yup, no events naming ;D

Hmm i put them in categories
like for eg
Singapore->Kranji war memorial
->Changi AIrport T3
Travel ->HK

Abstract
Events->SIN

something like that and i have a folder in these folders where i put the raw files of those pics

I use the following convention.

'071123-Event' for folders
(year,month,date & event/occasion name)

and as for the file names/subjects as short as possible:

plant1, plant2, plant3 ...

carol1, carol2, carol3 ...

sunset1, sunset2, sunset3 ...

boat1, boat2 ...

and so on so forth. And in a search string you can just key in "event name" or "subject" and presto they're listed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.