How do you dispose your rechargeable battery?

How do you dispose your rechargeable battery?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arantha

Feb 26, 2006
1 22 N, 103 48 E
I just found out that rechargeable battery contain toxic that could harm the environment if not being disposed properly. How do you guys usually throw away damaged rechargeable battery? It seems that such battery should be taken to a place where they can recycle them properly. However, I never heard of such places in Singapore, anybody knows? :think:

not just rechargeable batt.... normal ones too... in Europe there are some places n ways to deal with this prob since many years back. Spore I haven heard of any. Just e common recycle bins we can see, for plastic/papers..... like Sunset Way area, i see none!

I just found out that rechargeable battery contain toxic that could harm the environment if not being disposed properly. How do you guys usually throw away damaged rechargeable battery? It seems that such battery should be taken to a place where they can recycle them properly. However, I never heard of such places in Singapore, anybody knows? :think:

ya lor, couldn't find any place that can dispose battery properly in sg. Want to save the environment also difficult :confused:

I wear my used batteries like this: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

BloodFiend-Belt.jpg

I wear my used batteries like this: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

BloodFiend-Belt.jpg

din know u were into mini skirts & fishnet stockings... :bsmilie:

trade them in for discounts on new batteries when someone offers trade-ins... :) :thumbsup:

trade them in for discounts on new batteries when someone offers trade-ins... :) :thumbsup:

got meh? :bigeyes:

let us kno if have okie! ;p

A marketing ploy to get you to buy from them and in the end....guess how they will dispose of it? In the trash can as well since locally where is there special plant to dispose of it safely? The fact that you are not the one throwing it away but you still have a part in having used it. heheheh

The last time I check, can't remember what agency handle collecting recyclable material from public, was told local don't have a place to recycle batteries... so if you throw it to them, they also will throw them inside dust bin.

I tried to google for it also, but can't find any local disposal centres.

In some countries like even the USA there have been cases of BS. Where in the front they would preach the recycling line for the sake of political or commercial gain but taken to the back they are all lump together and throw away in the same hazard manner.

While global warming is about what's up there effect us down here. The more IMMEDIATE danger for things like toxin from batteries are already felt here. It sips into the ground water and cause poisoning. And people are fighting to get more cars to go electric. If that be the case, think how much worst it will then be when hundred of thousand of cars every month needs to change their batteries. And these batteries are not small like your mobile devices. Something to think about the next time someone try to sell you an electrical car or anything electric that uses batteries.

Is it any surprise our authorities here don't have anything set aside or any enforcement agency or subsidies for setting up a recycling or disposal work. Okay we have cardboard and those collecting cans but things like those have recycling value as you can reconvert them including some forms of plastic. But to dispose of something that has no use or value..there is no profit to be made for such items. The only recycling I know that is partial own or invested by the authority if I am not wrong which recycle things like circuit board for their gold solderings and contacts etc. but you have to wonder what they do with the plastic and other stuff that made up the board after extractig the gold. Do they refine this further to recycle it too or are they just placed in landfill? Anyone knows?

Last edited:
In some countries like even the USA there have been cases of BS. Where in the front they would preach the recycling line for the sake of political or commercial gain but taken to the back they are all lump together and throw away in the same hazard manner.

While global warming is about what's up there effect us down here. The more IMMEDIATE danger for things like toxin from batteries are already felt here. It sips into the ground water and cause poisoning. And people are fighting to get more cars to go electric. If that be the case, think how much worst it will then be when hundred of thousand of cars every month needs to change their batteries. And these batteries are not small like your mobile devices. Something to think about the next time someone try to sell you an electrical car or anything electric that uses batteries.

Is it any surprise our authorities here don't have anything set aside or any enforcement agency or subsidies for setting up a recycling or disposal work. Okay we have cardboard and those collecting cans but things like those have recycling value as you can reconvert them including some forms of plastic. But to dispose of something that has no use or value..there is no profit to be made for such items. The only recycling I know that is partial own or invested by the authority if I am not wrong which recycle things like circuit board for their gold solderings and contacts etc. but you have to wonder what they do with the plastic and other stuff that made up the board after extractig the gold. Do they refine this further to recycle it too or are they just placed in landfill? Anyone knows?

Interesting... its true that most of the times we don't know what happen to the trash that we throw away. About the plastic thing, I heard that most plastic is non-recyclable, and they will take a long time to decompose, thus it will just clogging up the landfills.

I saw there's one person vote taking to disposal centre (again, I think this is not the correct term ;p). Care to share where is this disposal centre?

Interesting... its true that most of the times we don't know what happen to the trash that we throw away. About the plastic thing, I heard that most plastic is non-recyclable, and they will take a long time to decompose, thus it will just clogging up the landfills.

I saw there's one person vote taking to disposal centre (again, I think this is not the correct term ;p). Care to share where is this disposal centre?
probably he just throw the used rechargeable battery into any recycle bin to let others worry how to dispose them....

The last time I check, can't remember what agency handle collecting recyclable material from public, was told local don't have a place to recycle batteries... so if you throw it to them, they also will throw them inside dust bin.

Sadly, the official advice I got from NEA a while ago is to put it in the household waste "because batteries in Singapore don't contain hazardous materials". Same answer for electronic waste (which typically contains lots of heavy metals, toxins, carcinogens, and precious metals) and fluorescent tubes (mercury, and compact fluorescent tubes also contain electronic circuitry, including lead solder which has been outlawed in other countries for years now).

Sorry to say, the NEA is a bad joke.

As part of its corporate citizenship, the company I work for allows employees to turn in old batteries, and they get disposed along with other solid chemical waste by a (hopefully) responsible licensed hazardous waste disposal company. Not to say that we couldn't still do a lot better on minimizing waste.

Last edited:
A marketing ploy to get you to buy from them and in the end....guess how they will dispose of it? In the trash can as well since locally where is there special plant to dispose of it safely? The fact that you are not the one throwing it away but you still have a part in having used it. heheheh
well, if the regular consumer can't do better in finding a recycling option, then at least he/she can get some value back from the batteries... ;)

sure, if there are recycling options, that would be great... if there are any battery manufacturers out there reading this (like real;p), they can get a great PR thing by demonstrating some recycling project... be inspired by the Bill (read this weeks edition of Time Mag) and his push for "Creative Capitalism" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.