How do you dispose of your batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waipeng

Oct 25, 2006
Considering that some of us use a lot of batteries, and that some of these batteries are recycleable, I wonder what are the ways that you dispose of these batteries?

My rechargeable batteries still working. No need to dispose them.

Regards,
Arto.

What I was wondering was that it might not be a good idea to throw them into the bin? Cos all rubbish in SG gets incinerated, and the warning on the batteries always say "Do not dispose of in fire, might explode".

Anybody knows of any place that takes in these batteries for recycling?

What I was wondering was that it might not be a good idea to throw them into the bin? Cos all rubbish in SG gets incinerated, and the warning on the batteries always say "Do not dispose of in fire, might explode".

Anybody knows of any place that takes in these batteries for recycling?
AFAIK, Singapore don't have this facility. Sad...

If we can urge gohment to provide this facility. If we don't care our environment, who else?

Regards,
Arto.

IKEA at bukit merah used to collect used batteries. I dun know if they still do, you can go and check it out.

IKEA at bukit merah used to collect used batteries. I dun know if they still do, you can go and check it out.
Go to IKEA bukit merah just to throw away the used batteries? Heh...., I hope gohmen or battery manufacturer really do something about environment.

Regards,
Arto.

Some Nokia Service Centres have this recycling bins. Theres one slot for battery. Not sure if they would allow you to dispose other types of batteries there, cos it seems like its more for Nokia batteries.

NEA have vendors all over the place to collect batt. But still not very convenient as they are mostly located in industrial estates. As a result, my depleted UPS batt is still sitting around for months.

Previously, batteries need to be disposed properly due to content of mercury, cadmium and other heavy metals. Nowadays, battery makers have moved to remove all toxic heavy metals from the batteries. Most of the batteries nowadays, including rechargeables, no long contain heavy metals and need not have special disposal method.

One of the batteries that is still in use that require special disposal is the NiCd rechargeable battery. This battery is still needed in very high drain equipment like power tools and remote control cars.

IMO, old electronic equipment posed more problems than batteries, due to the lead content in the solders. Another item is the mercury containing fluorescent tubes.

BC

Hmm what about GP batteries? ReCyko+, Eneloop? Find it weird that all of them are haping on "green" but I can't find any recycling programs!

Hmm what about GP batteries? ReCyko+, Eneloop? Find it weird that all of them are haping on "green" but I can't find any recycling programs!
Yah..., maybe they use 'GREEN' word to boost their sales.

But it probably mean they are not using heavy metal component in their 'GREEN' battery.

Regards,
Arto.

Some user sells their old "cannot-make-it" rechargeable batts for $1 piece, so that he does not have to worry about disposal problem, and also to recover some $$$ before it is worthless.

Some user sells their old "cannot-make-it" rechargeable batts for $1 piece, so that he does not have to worry about disposal problem, and also to recover some $$$ before it is worthless.
Where to sell? Karung guni?

Regards,
Arto.

wah like that very evil leh...

Go to IKEA bukit merah just to throw away the used batteries? Heh...., I hope gohmen or battery manufacturer really do something about environment.

Regards,
Arto.

Well, you can accumulate all your used/flat batteries, then when you need to go Ikea to get stuffs, can bring along the batteries and pass it to the used batteries booth mei mei.

I also wonder if Eveready singapore would want our used batteries because they can save a bit on their overhead by recycling our old batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.