How do you define second hand item.

voice123

Jan 16, 2012
Singapore
people in bns often say low usage.
Look very new..
Used once.. blah blah

used once still conside 2nd hand ma ?

Did anyone claim their item is "Brand New"... if no one claim so....then I don't see it as an issue...

2nd hand item is not 1st hand.

Of course... used one is also USED and thus 2nd hand. You be lucky if yours is not 3rd hand/4th hand/multiple hands!!

That is why they have ratings for such conditions.

Some people are particular that they die die do not want 2nd hand (even used once / for test).

people in bns often say low usage.
Look very new..
Used once.. blah blah
Yes, any usage or non-usage doesn't matter. Important is: who is the seller? Buying from private person is considered second hand, also because of the legal implications (hint: Lemon Law). So it's pointless to argue about the mileage or shutter counts or 'box never opened'.

Some people are particular that they die die do not want 2nd hand (even used once / for test).
And these freaks cause most trouble and discussions about service in shops. Asking to check 10 lenses and still want to buy a new set that has not been touched before.

And these freaks cause most trouble and discussions about service in shops. Asking to check 10 lenses and still want to buy a new set that has not been touched before.

Serve them good if the set they end up buying is the one with problem!! :bsmilie:
Really silly of them to do that.

The moment an item has been bought by a consumer, it is by definition "second-hand" if they try to sell it off to another party.

The only exception is when the consumer bought it and never used it. Even then, there is a price penalty to pay (because if I can buy the item from an established shop where I have possible modes of redress if I'm unhappy, versus off the open B&S market where there is little or no regulation [and thus possibly no mode of redress], at least to my knowledge, I am still taking more risk). Fact of life.

Last edited:
Just say

No claims are made on the item condition

Then no one can accuse you of tricking them or any falsehood.

Don know leh. i saw a few post in BNS stating used once for testing. Then they put its BRAND new and nv use b4...I am so confuse sia

Don know leh. i saw a few post in BNS stating used once for testing. Then they put its BRAND new and nv use b4...I am so confuse sia

I will see that as a second hand no matter how nice the words were phrased.

Once item has left shop , as long as even if I just opened box to test , it is a 2nd hand item. One camera shop owner in Peninsula told me this before : it may be even that seller drop the set within the 1st week of use and wana sell it for peace of mind but u will never know if ad says 'one week old'.

End of the day, check with due diligence. I was cheated once due to being too trusting. Never take words at their face value, test and check , check and test.

Irrelevant. A lot can happen during one test. Take it as 'has been used for at least a short period' and inspect it properly. Take things like remaining warranty period as a bonus, not as a must. (If it's a must for you, you better get a local set from the shop.)

buy legacy primes like m42 sure no need think if how many hands

You can buy camera from her :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

http://vustudents.ning.com/m/blogpost?id=3783342%3ABlogPost%3A1215437

photographer_01.jpg

Technically speaking, once it leaves the first buyer, it is considered second hand. So if first buyer passed to friend free of charge, it is already second hand. First buyer buyer didnt use or open, transfer to someone else, also second hand.

In BnS, one should be more concern about the usability and condition. So terms like used once, never opened should matter little.

Last edited: