How do you correct lens distortion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunas

Dec 19, 2006
Singapore
I will like to know which is the best software to correct lens distortion from Sigma 10-20mm without the need of cropping?

Thank you.

hrm, how come no one reply, i must have missed it

if you look at the lens test on this one, very hard to correct

10mm_distortion.png

you see, only the corners are very affected, if you correct will be problematic

if you see this site here by ken rockwell, you will also observe that at 10mm, it is very hard to correct in photoshop because of this unique characteristic.

i would not worry too much about it , just do not place important things in the corners, shoot with a spirit level, you will minimise such problems :)

the best software I know of for correcting the Sigma 10-20 (I own this lens as well) is the DxO Optics Pro... the transformation they apply to the image is specific to the lens, camera, aperture, focal length, etc. so the adjustments would be better than tools which are not so specific...

but here's a caveat... I've become too lazy to use this software and the way I shoot and the stuff I shoot with this lens don't really show up the distortions... ;p

hrm, how come no one reply, i must have missed it

if you look at the lens test on this one, very hard to correct

you see, only the corners are very affected, if you correct will be problematic

if you see this site here by ken rockwell, you will also observe that at 10mm, it is very hard to correct in photoshop because of this unique characteristic.

i would not worry too much about it , just do not place important things in the corners, shoot with a spirit level, you will minimise such problems :)

Thanks Pal. BTW, what do you mean by 'shoot with a spirit level'? Is it that green liquid that indicates the level of your tripod?

the best software I know of for correcting the Sigma 10-20 (I own this lens as well) is the DxO Optics Pro... the transformation they apply to the image is specific to the lens, camera, aperture, focal length, etc. so the adjustments would be better than tools which are not so specific...

Thank you, I will check it out. ;)

Thanks Pal. BTW, what do you mean by 'shoot with a spirit level'? Is it that green liquid that indicates the level of your tripod?

yes, got a lot of types

got bubble type, got dual axis type :dunno:

Some RAW processor software can correct such distortions.
I use Silkypix Pro and it does a reasonable job in correcting lens distortion for pin/barrel as well as color fringing.

I use PTlens for lensdistortion, it's a cheap 1 time buy and lifelong free updates.

DxO Optics has the different lens characteristics as functions built into it, and not all the lenses are available initially. You have to buy them separately IIRC. You can also try Adobe Lightroom. It has a much more generic distortion correction built into it. The difference in some cases between Dxo and lightroom are barely noticeable.

DxO Optics has the different lens characteristics as functions built into it, and not all the lenses are available initially. You have to buy them separately IIRC.
there are two packages, one that only covers consumer and prosumer models, DxO Optics Pro Standard, and one that covers all models, DxO Optics Pro Elite... but in either case, all lens modules within their particular category are available for free download according to the categories (i.e. people who have the "Standard" package can download all lens modules within this package, and those with "Elite" can download everything) including ones added in future updates... :)

there are two packages, one that only covers consumer and prosumer models, DxO Optics Pro Standard, and one that covers all models, DxO Optics Pro Elite... but in either case, all lens modules within their particular category are available for free download according to the categories (i.e. people who have the "Standard" package can download all lens modules within this package, and those with "Elite" can download everything) including ones added in future updates... :)

Is the "update" freq for regular? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.