How do you clean your "weather resistant" DSLR?

clownpo09

Dec 23, 2009
found this video on Pentax' facebook page.
for those who do mountaineering, caving, etc, i know you wish you can clean your camera this way.

a poison for me to get a K5. i wish i have the budget :hung:

http://vimeo.com/16355376

to those who own the K5/K7/K20D/K10D etc, have you tried cleaning your camera this way? :think:

just because it can be done, doesn't mean that you should do it.

especially if you don't have a weather sealed lens, of course.

i mean, we have fire resistant items, does it mean that we go around burning them to clean them? :dunno:

that said, i always felt reassured when shooting by the sea with my k20d. :)

somebody ask if the camera is still working after how he cleaned it.
reply is as follow..

Benjamin Fullerton
Jeffrey - Works just fine. I've done 6 photo shoots frames with that body/lens since then. It has been a gradual progression for me from K10 > K20 > K-7 > K-5 of really becoming aware of how well made and durable these bodies really are. As... an adventure photographer, I've put them through all sorts of hell, and they just take it in stride. Babying your camera is fine if that's what you want, but just don't do it because you think you need to.

Cheers!

http://www.facebook.com/Pentax#!/Pentax/posts/158606874177220

i mean, we have fire resistant items, does it mean that we go around burning them to clean them? :dunno:
if it would clean the item, or there would be benefit in subjecting it to fire why not? anyways i dont think i have any "fire resistant" item though..:)

This video just brings back memories of a local Pentax user who did pretty much the same thing... :bsmilie:

if it would clean the item, or there would be benefit in subjecting it to fire why not? anyways i dont think i have any "fire resistant" item though..:)

fire resistant =/= fireproof.

something it would be good to bear in mind.

of course, if you want to follow the footsteps of our in-house "pro photographer"... it's your camera, not mine! :)

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759360

was it his lens? i thought he just reposted it.
since there are different levels of fire/water(pressure), there is only up to a certain level these sealing can hold-up.

but hey, im probably just talking crap. i dont even have a weather resistant camera body to start with

cheers

edit: i cant imagine of any item that is fire proof

loads of clothing are fire-resistant, actually, esp uniforms. by fire-resistant, it doesn't mean that you can roast it and it will be fine, it will just withstand fire a bit longer..

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/12/airforce_fireproof_shirts_071216/

edit: i cant imagine any item that is fire proof
anyways, :thumbsup::thumbsup: for weather sealed cameras

Although my K5 + WR lens, I won't clean it that way :bsmilie:
But K5 is still power if you hv a WR lens :thumbsup:

i've just reread the later posts from the topic on the pentaxforums.

"On a positive note... received an email from the Pentax Customer service yesterday to indicate that the European HQ had replied that they would fix the lens under warranty and that the service centre would contact me.

I think this is a very strong positive message from Pentax regarding Weather Resistance... reading through many threads I see that many have great success with the WR abilities of their pentax equipment... seems that although not a standard line in the warranty Pentax are willing to stand behind the WR claims and provide the required service where required in these rare cases.."

then,,

"Actually heard yesterday from Pentax that they will replace the lens rather than fix (the service centre said it was not worth fixing)... unfortunately they dont have in stock so I might have a bit of a wait...

Anyway... I see this is a very positive statement from pentax around the quality and support of their WR cameras & lenses."

last one from the TS

"guess to be the last post on this subject! New lens arrived yesterday in a shiny new box... now to go out and do some shooting
smile.gif

Also, I am very happy with the Pentax Customer service after this... maybe took a while but have shown me that they stand behind the marketing of their products... taking this plus the great new products (K5+Kr... some holes filled in the lens lineup)... have to say it feels good to be a pentaxian."

good news indeed:)

I have a 1 inch paint brush with handle saw off so it can be kept in the smaller pockets of my camera bag. I use it to clean the exterior of the body & lens (especially the deep tight corners) after shooting on beach or dusty areas. I used to use a tooth brush but its just too small...

I avoid using the blower first as it might force dirt & grit into fine seams on the body. Blower is mainly for lens front...

Just my work preference...