How do you choose your brand of filters?

What affects your choice of filter?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hptay

Dec 12, 2002
www.pbase.com
Just a curious survey regarding your choice of filter..

Any reason why you stick to a particuliar brand? Usually its the shop who recommends me and I really dont think much. :think:

Other that Hoya, any other popular choices?

My favourite....

B+W (MRC version)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Used to get cheap hoya filters(both normal or HMC/SHMC). But after using the B+W MRC, never looked back. It is worth paying for it for the fact that it is so much easier to clean.

Does the multi resistant coating make such a difference?
My hoya HMC filter does get a little difficult to clean after a while. The oil stains seems to get stuck in the coating. ;p

go by price ;)

Dunno why, I bring my 24mm/2.8 to Ubin yesterday, put on my 58mm B+W MRC UV. Going home that time, water tiny by tiny come on the filter itself. I just blow off the salt, caps on, go back home see nothign there already.

Yes the B+W is expensive, I am heart pained to buy such, somemore got the Grad ND, CP, Warm, Cool, to buy also, and when I step into Black and White photography one day, it will be Red, Blue, Yellow, Orange, Green etc filters... all at 67mm :confused:

Those that I use a lot (eg UV, 81B, Polarizer, Red, Yellow, Orange, etc) I take B+W if available.

Those that I seldom use (eg soft focus, +1/2/4, special effects, etc) I take Hoya or other similarly cheap brand.

Hoya is really difficult to clean, the coating is useless.

Wai Leong
===
hptay said:

Any reason why you stick to a particuliar brand? Usually its the shop who recommends me and I really dont think much. :think:

hptay said:

Personally, what brand and price I would pay depend on the only factor that makes sense to me all these years and that is based on what level of camera equipment and quality of lens you use?

If you are using entry level cameras, entry level lens ( may it be the cheaper glass from Nikon or Canon or some other 3rd party cheaper lens..etc) Buying B+Ws, Nikons ..etc is really a waste of money. That simple single piece of glass on the filter will not perform "magik" and make your lower quality lens produce super sharp and well coloured shots. Thus the price and quality you should be paying for those filter will have a direct relation to how much you are investing in your equipment too.

And especially in the area of digital photography with your CCD or CMOS. You can expect to see more results if you are using those fine lens and super high megapixel DSLR but if you are using those 1.2 megapixel or 4 megapixel...etc you find that some of those filter will not make any difference since those lower megapixel sensor capture less details. You will see 'some' difference that's no doubt but how much of it well..it might not make a difference with using a cheap or expensive filter then.

That's just me lah... :)

B+W any day. I have absolutely had it with Hoya HMC/SHMC, they are a nightmare to clean. The cheap single coated hoya filters are ok though, easy to clean.

Helbreath said:
Used to get cheap hoya filters(both normal or HMC/SHMC). But after using the B+W MRC, never looked back. It is worth paying for it for the fact that it is so much easier to clean.

Can post some prices for the B+W filters? Just the usual filters (UV, PL) for 52mm?

And which store carries stock usually?

runes said:
And which store carries stock usually?
Cathay.

sammy888 said:
If you are using entry level cameras, entry level lens ( may it be the cheaper glass from Nikon or Canon or some other 3rd party cheaper lens..etc) Buying B+Ws, Nikons ..etc is really a waste of money. That simple single piece of glass on the filter will not perform "magik" and make your lower quality lens produce super sharp and well coloured shots. Thus the price and quality you should be paying for those filter will have a direct relation to how much you are investing in your equipment too.
For cheap lenses, forget about even using filters. They'll serve to degrade image quality even further. Just take care of your lens and you won't get scratches on it.

How expensive is this B+W brand? Is it much more expensive than Hoya SHMC Pro1?

wrx_sti_22b said:
How expensive is this B+W brand? Is it much more expensive than Hoya SHMC Pro1?

Definitely.. My SHMC 49mm filter cost S$22. The B+W MRC of the same size is ~S$50..

It's a balancing act between price and brand/ established quality. Sometimes I blur the edges a little...if the lens is expensive, I don't mind putting in more to get a top of the range filter.

But for say...the kit lens, I'd be happy with just about any filter that fits and gives the desired effect.

HOYA - best value for the price :thumbsup:

cokin good enough for me...

Been using hoya and Kenko filters. Works for me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.