How do you change your lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.Lee

I am new to DSLR and find changing lenses to be a cumbersome process, and have yet to develop a personal procedure/method that is safe, quick and efficient.
When I am out shooting (outdoor or indoor), I carry my Lowepro backpack that contains all my gears. I have to put down my back pack on the ground to make lens change. The process is slow and often missing good opportunity. And what if the ground is wet or dusty? I recently bought a Tenba shoulder bag (still working on the compartment configuration) and hope to be able to change lenses without the need to put things on the ground.

Can you share your PERSONAL best practices? :think:
Example (but should not limit to):

1. How do you hold the camera/lens?
2. Do it with the bag on the floor?
3. How you carry those lenses?
4. What bag do you use?
5. How you manage those lens covers?
6. Bla..bla..bla

Over time, u will develop yr own habit, similar to drive a car, got pedals, brakes, indicator lights, horn, mirrors, wipers, hifi, aircon etc etc.

My practice?
1. Inside a studio
- Find a table, put all the lens and cameras on a table, loose the 2nd lens bottom cap, hold the camera, then unscrew the 1st lens then put it on the table, then bring the 2nd lens onto the camera as fast as possible and screw in.

2. Outdoor (very tricky)
- Most times I carry Lowepro backpack, occasionally I carry Lowepro shoulder bag.
- Always I hang the camera to my neck with a neck strap
- If u can find a table, bench or clean ground, then put down your backpack and open and do the same thing as in studio
- If u cannot find a clean ground, a bit difficult, I turn the backpack to the front, open a little and "squeeze out" the 2nd lens, take off the bottom cap, now camera on the neck, left hand holding the 2nd lens, use the right hand to unscrew the 1st lens (use left hand thumb to press the lens lock button), then right hand hold the 1st lens and use left hand to screw in the 2nd lens, put back the bottom cap on the 1st lens, done.

Astin, thanks for sharing. That is very interesting :bigeyes: .

Anyone else ('sifu' out there) would like to share your experience?

Side note:
- It requires both hands to unlock the lens is also cumbersome. Can it be done with one hand?
- It looks like neck strap is an essential item. Can we do without a neck strap?

L.Lee said:
Astin, thanks for sharing. That is very interesting :bigeyes: .

Anyone else ('sifu' out there) would like to share your experience?

Side note:
- It requires both hands to unlock the lens is also cumbersome. Can it be done with one hand?
- It looks like neck strap is an essential item. Can we do without a neck strap?
If u dont like neck strarp, can also mount yr camera on a tripod...:bsmilie:

Just back on a tour.

So doing the trip, I carried a LowePro Orion Aw.

I will use my left hand to support the body, and my right hand to press the lens release button while turning the lens. Drop the lens into an empty compartment, and bring up the 2nd lens to fit in. All the lens are without front and rear lens cover to facilitate fast changing. Anyway they are all kept in the bag, which I think is sufficient to prevent dust. End of each day, will do some proper cleaning up.

get a domke bag, with one hand holding the camera
the other hand remove lens
drop into bag
reach for another lens and remove the mount cap
and mount.

then remove the lens cap
and shoot

Hi volk thanks for sharing.
We got something new here:
"All the lens are without front and rear lens cover to facilitate fast changing." :eek: . So far any issue with dust got into the lens?

Ortega, while one hand is holding the camera body, you actually remove the lens cap mount cover with one hand?
Do you think volk's practice is more efficient?
How the Domke :)sweat: ) can help?
Thanks for sharing, your experience helps.

Astin, you are right. When your cam is mounted to a tri-pod, things get much easier. At least we have one less thing to hold, the cam body. :bsmilie:

for me, I dun change lens as I only got 1 lens (18-200). I find it too troublesome and inconvience and too lazy to change. :embrass:

Some pros have the habit of not putting on the lens cap and bottom cap when the lens is inside the camera bag, I see many times before.....

Astin said:
Some pros have the habit of not putting on the lens cap and bottom cap when the lens is inside the camera bag, I see many times before.....
May be they do not own the equipment ;). They are most probably measured by the result/what they produce...so efficiency really counts.
I supposed lenses are sealed right? Can dust still gets in, from where? :think:

Astin said:

I shoot mostly with primes and changing lens is a skill to learn well. While shooting, I stick the hood on. For long lenses, there is not much need to stick the lens cap on the kept lens till the heat of the shoot is over. Lens pouches are useful.

The bottom cap is another story. I put it on the kept lens before shooting. No filter at the bottom lah.

I feel it is not the speed that matters or getting the shot is top priority. While changing lenses I prefer to ensure that the lens do not drop no matter what. I prefer to change on a table or seated down whenever possible - Slowly and stressfree.

Hello, before I change my lens I remove the rear cap of the one which is in the bag and put on the front cap for the one already on the camera. After which,

1. I hold my camera body in the left hand
2. Use my middle finger to press the lens release button
3. Use right hand to grab and turn the lens
4. Place the 'released' lens front cap first into the bag
5. Pick up the one which I need from the bag
6. Insert it into the body, remove lens cap
7. Use the rear cap to cover the 'butt' of the one in the bag
8. Continue shooting

I'm using the bag that came with the D50 bag, but I'm using a film SLR (FM2n).

Well, I don't change lenses till I really need to. And how I change depends if I'm using a backpack or shoulder bag that day.

For shoulder bag, I don't screw on the rear cap. I just place it on the lens. So when I need to change, I just twist off the lens, drop it into the bag and pick up the next lens. This takes about 5-10 secs...

For backpack, a bit more tricky. Personally, I suggest you know the layout of your bag well so you can get to the lens fast without wasting time as I have the additional steps of putting down the bag and removing the rear lens cap. This way, 10-15 secs...

jeremyftk said:
Well, I don't change lenses till I really need to. And how I change depends if I'm using a backpack or shoulder bag that day.

For shoulder bag, I don't screw on the rear cap. I just place it on the lens. So when I need to change, I just twist off the lens, drop it into the bag and pick up the next lens. This takes about 5-10 secs...

For backpack, a bit more tricky. Personally, I suggest you know the layout of your bag well so you can get to the lens fast without wasting time as I have the additional steps of putting down the bag and removing the rear lens cap. This way, 10-15 secs...

Thanks jeremyftk for your contribution. :thumbsup:

It looks like we have a L-lens user here who do not put on the back cover to facilitate quick lens change. Interesting. Is there more souls out there practice the same?

LordAeRo said:
Hello, before I change my lens I remove the rear cap of the one which is in the bag and put on the front cap for the one already on the camera. After which,

1. I hold my camera body in the left hand
2. Use my middle finger to press the lens release button
3. Use right hand to grab and turn the lens
4. Place the 'released' lens front cap first into the bag
5. Pick up the one which I need from the bag
6. Insert it into the body, remove lens cap
7. Use the rear cap to cover the 'butt' of the one in the bag
8. Continue shooting

I'm using the bag that came with the D50 bag, but I'm using a film SLR (FM2n).

Thank you Lord (LordAeRo) for the step by step description. :thumbsup:
a) Do you do it while having your bag on the table or on the ground right?
b) Re step 7, do you screw on the rear cap?
c) How long it takes you to complete one cycle? Cheers :D

L.Lee said:
Thank you Lord (LordAeRo) for the step by step description. :thumbsup:
a) Do you do it while having your bag on the table or on the ground right?

I can do it with the bag still on my shoulder as well, you can try that if you can't find any suitable surface to rest the bag on.

L.Lee said:
b) Re step 7, do you screw on the rear cap?

Used to, but after what jeremyftk said I won't anymore haha.

L.Lee said:
c) How long it takes you to complete one cycle? Cheers :D
[/quote]

about 10-15 seconds? That's when I really rush. :sweatsm:

L.Lee said:
Ortega, while one hand is holding the camera body, you actually remove the lens cap mount cover with one hand?
Do you think volk's practice is more efficient?
How the Domke :)sweat: ) can help?
Thanks for sharing, your experience helps.
yes 2 fingers around the cap palm and rest of fingers around the lens

come to think of it you can remove the lens mount cap while it is still in the bag

Domke bag has quick access, when you go shopping for a bag make sure that the arrangement of the equipment is in such a way that you have quick access.

Bag: AW500.

Camera hung around the neck, open top zips, uncap the 70-300mm, take out the 28-80, place it in the bag, with one hand angling the F65 upwards to avoid street dust, then grab the 70-300 and screw it on, then reach into the bag and cap the 28-80mm.The 28-80mm has filters and my interior is relatively clean so I'm not worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.