How do you carry your Tripod around?

voice123

Jan 16, 2012
Singapore
Just brought a tripod , it come with a long sling bag.

my current camera bag is also sling de, 5MDH

how can I carry it in a proper way ?

the tripod weight ard 1.5kg
1.2+0.3(ballhead)

Last edited:
is there really a proper way? o_O

whatever suits you and is most comfortable is probably the best. otherwise you can also use your imagination.

I usually pay people to carry it for me.

hotsun2.jpg

Tripods used to come in very convenient collapsible sling bags. They weren't padded, but they allowed one to sling the tripod over your shoulder. If you needed to use the tripod, the tripod bag would come off, and in it went into your back pocket, no worries.

Nowadays, all the tripod bags are all ridiculously overpadded. I think the manufacturers are simply bending to the demand of the tofu consumer who can't take the touch of metal on their skin. If you take the tripod out of the bag you will have no real way to stow the tripod bag properly unless you have a car. Some people will throw it to one side first, but that's not so convenient if you are shooting right by the sea/beach.

So I carry all my tripods by hand. I'm thinking of getting Think Tank UD series with the tripod attachment straps so that I have an option of strapping the tripod onto the bag temporarily when I need both hands, e.g. when scaling the steep slope of a mountain to get a view during travels.

Last edited:
Tripod bags are a hassle. I'm too cheapo to even get a real tripod strap haha. I just use my old neoprene neckstrap and tie it to the tripod, instant tripod strap.

Tripod bags are a hassle. I'm too cheapo to even get a real tripod strap haha. I just use my old neoprene neckstrap and tie it to the tripod, instant tripod strap.

I use shoulder strap of old notebook bags. Excellent and strong enough and can be left on the legs when the tripod is deployed. Other option rifle sling :D

The super padded sirui tripod bag is heavy, so usually, I will tie the tripod with the padded sling. 1 end goes to the "neck" of the tripod, the center column below the ball head and the other end goes to the legs.

As for carrying it, just sling it, but when my shoulder is tired, just hold it with my hand instead.

voice123 said:
so normally sling it this way ?

It's like what shierwin said. The other end I only tie it to one leg, so I don't need to remove the strap when I need to use it. Just open the tripod up.

It's like what shierwin said. The other end I only tie it to one leg, so I don't need to remove the strap when I need to use it. Just open the tripod up.

like tat i nid to dig out my rifle sling liao =D

You can also use your tripod to beat up robber and chase away wild dog :bsmilie:

I use an Op-tech strap. Looks similar the pic above, but has both end with the slings and plastic clips. Works well, never gave way and the elastic material makes the weight disappear.

I usually just slot the legs between the bag straps for fast access...I seldom use the tripod bag provided...

how do i hook sling to my r1004
i just reach hm noticed that there is no ring for me to hook anyting

How about this way. The tripod is real big for her.........

Armed.jpg

i carry it this way too...but i don't have the luxury of paying someone to slave like that for me... nor do i want to do it that way.. God gave me two hands, and two feet.. and a strong back along with everything else to carry my tripod and other gears.

Use a tripod bag. :)

Well...I usually carry it in a tripod bag just to prevent it from any accidental knocks.But weight is ur concern,u might wan to consider a Sirui range of CF tripod...reasonably cheap & light.