How do you carry you tripod on a short hike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panzer

Nov 7, 2004
NSW Australia
Hi, I am looking for a camera backpack for a short hike usage. However, I am not sure if I should be looking for one that can carry a tripod. I am using 190PROB and it may be too heavy to strap onto the backpack, am I right?

Anyway, please share how you guys manage the transportation of your tripod?

Thanks.

not really 190prob not that heavy, but have to see your body built & threshold...

i carry them using a tripod strap... simpler...

Hmm, so you would sling your tripod, carry a backpack/bag, and have your camera sling round your neck during the day hike?

My max is just one bag and camera on hand to shoot on the way. Me no commando leh.

Thanks.

Hmm, so you would sling your tripod, carry a backpack/bag, and have your camera sling round your neck during the day hike?

My max is just one bag and camera on hand to shoot on the way. Me no commando leh.

Thanks.

ya, mostly a SBO, tripod and camera belly bouncing... :bsmilie:

where can you get a tripod strap? i've got a bag but its a huge hassle taking it in and out..

Take a look at this website for some creative ways to carry your tripod....

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/carrying-tripod.html

Try the 'SOC' method. ;)

Thanks, interesting and creative ideas there. At first I thought 'SOC' means Standard Obstacle Course style where you sling the tripod on your back but it's a different meaning in the linked article. That one may not work for me as the writer has mentioned. :bsmilie:

I also like the "radio antenna" way, reminds me of how I used to carry my children when they were younger.:bsmilie:

Anyway, looks like the "backpack tie-down" is probably the best option for me. Anyone has other ways to share?

I have a backpack, I have my camera out, and I just hold the tripod. If I see a shot that doesn't need tripod and doesn't exactly mean that I have all the leisure in the world to set it up.. I just open up my tripod legs and dump it on the ground by itself so I have both hands free suddenly.

Of course, this is only doable for relatively ok terrain. Which should be most of the time, anyways, unless you're the masochistic sort. =D

On the way to the location then I just sling it in a bag lor. My camera also not out what, so I'd still have both hands free even with the backpack and tripod bag.

If you find it too much hassle to be worth it when you're shooting, then you probably don't use it enough to warrant your bringing it out. I feel naked when I don't bring my tripod out, these days.

I have a backpack, I have my camera out, and I just hold the tripod. If I see a shot that doesn't need tripod and doesn't exactly mean that I have all the leisure in the world to set it up.. I just open up my tripod legs and dump it on the ground by itself so I have both hands free suddenly.

Of course, this is only doable for relatively ok terrain. Which should be most of the time, anyways, unless you're the masochistic sort. =D

On the way to the location then I just sling it in a bag lor. My camera also not out what, so I'd still have both hands free even with the backpack and tripod bag.

If you find it too much hassle to be worth it when you're shooting, then you probably don't use it enough to warrant your bringing it out. I feel naked when I don't bring my tripod out, these days.

This is what I was planning to do/try. You have given me the assurance that it might work for me. Will try this on my next day hike trip.

Thanks.

Tripod would be strap to the bag if I'm using a backpack. If I'm using a sling bag, I would use a tripod bag to carry it. I'm using a Manfrotto ProB also:)

Status
Not open for further replies.